Saturday, July 4, 2015
(Image source: via Google)
We want to wish all of our fellow Americans a wonderful 4th of July!
Here's to celebrating our nation's Independence / birthday surrounded by family and friends. We hope everyone has a fabulous, and safe holiday!
Friday, July 3, 2015
Happy July! Also known as Summer is almost half over *cries* Thankfully we've still got plenty of time to do some summer reading. Weather you're enjoying the great out doors, or hiding from the heat indoors, check out some of this month's YA releases that keep you company. Click the book's title to be taken to it's Goodreads page.
Week of July 7th
- The Heart of Betrayal by Mary Pearson, on sale 7/7/15 from Henry Holt
- Silver In The Blood by Jessica Day George, on sale 7/7/15 from Bloomsbury
- Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine, on sale 7/7/15 from NAL
- The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, on sale 7/7/15 from Bloomsbury
- Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kinneally, on sale 7/7/15 from Source Books Fire
- Paperweight by Meg Haston, on sale 7/7/15 from Harper Teen
- Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls by Lynn Weingarten, on sale 7/7/15 from Simon Pulse
- Our Song by A. Destiny & Elizabeth Lenhard, on sale 7/7/15 from Simon Pulse
- Don't Ever Change by M. Beth Bloom, on sale 7/7/15 from Harper Teen
- The House of The Stone by Amy Ewing, on sale 7/7/15 from Harper Teen
- The Islanders Vol 3 by Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant, on sale 7/7/15 from Epic Reads
- The Islanders Vol 4 by Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant, on sale 7/7/15 from Epic Reads
- You, Me & Him by Kris Dinnison, on sale 7/7/15 from HMH Books for Young Readers
- Renegade by Kerry Wilkinson, on sale 7/7/15 from St. Martin's Griffin
- The Six by Mark Alpert, on sale 7/7/15 from Source Books Fire
- The Escape by Hannah Jayne, on sale 7/7/15 from Source Books Fire
- Hallowed by Tonya Hurley, on sale 7/7/15 from Simon & Schuster
- Survive The Night by Danielle Vega, on sale 7/7/15 from Razorbill
- Forever For A Year by B.T. Guttfed, on sale 7/7/15 from Henry Holt & Co.
Week of July 14th
- Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee, on sale 7/14/15 from Harper Collins
- Alive by Scott Sigler, on sale 7/14/15 from Del Ray
- Ruthless by Carolynn Lee Adams, on sale 7/14/15 from Simon Pulse
- Deceptive by Emily Lloyd-Jones, on sale 7/14/15 from Little Brown
- Map To The Stars by Jen Malone, on sale 7/14/15 from Harper Teen
- From This Moment by Lauren Barnholdt, on sale 7/14/15 from Harper Teen
- What We Knew by Barbara Stewart, on sale 7/14/15 from St. Martin's Griffin
Week of July 21st
- Pretending To Be Erica by Michelle Painchaud, on sale 7/21/15 from Viking
- Damage Done by Amanda Panitch, on sale 7/21/15 from Random House
- Geek Girl: Model Misfit by Molly Smale, on sale 7/21/15 from Harper Teen
Week of July 28th
Wow, there are a lot of great releases this month. This list is made up from books/arcs I've received from publishers to review, Goodreads, and Epic Read's July Most Anticipated Reads lists. If you don't see a book that's being released this month above, please leave me a comment below letting me know the book's title, who's it's by, and which publishing house is releasing it.
We've got more exciting Shadowhunters news to share with you. Cassandra Clare shared on Tumblr yesterday that Ki Hong Lee will be narrating Pale Kings & Princes. Fans will recnogize Lee from The Maze Runner movie, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
More Cute Dark Haired Boys Read To You! Ki Hong Lee (from The Maze Runner and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) will be narrating PALE KINGS AND PRINCES, the newest installment of Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy. Can’t wait to hear it!
The final installment of the hugely anticipated film series THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY – PART 2 is coming to a theater near you this fall, and we’re celebrating in a BIG way. Assouline is debuting a gorgeous compilation of photos that bring you behind-the-scenes into the making of this big-screen adaptation. Tim Palen: Photographs from The Hunger Games is a special volume of exclusive photographs from all four films, which is available to preorder online now.
Visit Assouline.com for more information and to order the Tim Palen: Photographs from The Hunger Games book today.
* (above) Post content was provided by Mammoth on behalf of Lionsgate
You can pre-order the book, which will be available on July 29th from Amazon. From Amazon, here's a sneak peak of a couple of the book's pages:
This looks like it's going to be a must have for The Hunger Game fans. Priced at $75 (US) dollars, the book is currently available for pre-order from Amazon for $50 (US) dollars.
Thursday, July 2, 2015
I think we should declare today Shadowhunter catch up day, on Mundie Moms. I love that there's so much going on in the TMI world, that today we've got three different posts for fans. Here's a recap of Tweets, and Instagram pictures from the Shadowhunters TV cast & crew from the set.
ShadowhuntersWriters are excited to share our favorite book quotes every Wed. #SHQuoteOfTheWeek @ShadowhuntersTV pic.twitter.com/euQboZXO1S— ShadowhuntersWriters (@ShadowhuntersWR) June 24, 2015
Promo shoot shenanigans with the crew. @ABCFamily @ShadowhuntersTV #SHADOWHUNTERS pic.twitter.com/JJZaNlyyXE— Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) June 28, 2015
Gonna kill it on Shadowhunters tomorrow. The fandom deserves the best.Your Father has spoken... @ShadowhuntersTV @TMI_Institute @TMI_Source— McG (@McGsWonderland) June 29, 2015
Expect Game of Thrones level heartbreak. No one is safe. Who will get it...pain awaits. Kneel before Zod @ShadowhuntersTV @TMI_Institute— McG (@McGsWonderland) June 29, 2015
Seeing double in hair and makeup... You know what that means?? Fight scene day!! @shadowhunterstv @abcfamily pic.twitter.com/PvK7N4LuK7— Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) June 30, 2015
1st day of ep 4. @ShadowhuntersTV is really heating up! TMI fans are going to love this interpretation of @cassieclare's world! @ABCFamily— Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) June 30, 2015
Next week. https://t.co/eNFPBqB48E— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) July 1, 2015
When you want to see is 'bae' is still mad... @arosende @kat_mcnamara shadowhunterstv #shadowhunterstv https://t.co/39F0G1c0Gv— Dominic Sherwood (@DomSherwood1) July 2, 2015
In celebration of Canada day yesterday, Rimac79 (on Instagram) shared this picture of the cast with the message, HAPPY CANADA DAY!...to be continued...— Katherine McNamara (@Kat_McNamara) July 2, 2015
This just in! The official website for Shadowhunters just launched! Visit http://t.co/4xiiQbLHDf for exclusives and more!— Shadowhunters (@ShadowhuntersTV) July 1, 2015
Check out these stills from the video of the set (click each of the pictures to enlarge them):
We can't wait to see the series when it airs next year on ABC Family!
“Ty-Ty,” said Livvy, her name for him when they were babies. She reached to rub his shoulder. “It’ll be all right.” https://t.co/LbiT8Mmc3A— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
"Julian attacked the canvas, holding the brush like a weapon, and the paint seemed to spill out of him like blood." https://t.co/M023UwMqFK— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
Livvy held up a hand. “In Emma’s defense, Cameron’s annoying, but he’s hot.” https://t.co/bJoThAkv7n— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
“Wait, maybe this isn’t the markings.” Malcolm eyed the papers. “It seems to be a recipe for orange cake.” https://t.co/W2B8ZzfASZ— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
Emma sighed. “It’s so hard to be sassy to the Fair Folk. You people never get jokes.” https://t.co/EYLryYOkyK— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
“Captain America is the most handsome,” said Cristina. “But I like the Hulk. I wish to heal his broken heart.” https://t.co/PdMS9q006N— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
“You think it is easy to lie when you have grown up around people who do not lie?” Mark said, flushing with anger. https://t.co/Sr8jxwpq2k— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
The girl goggled. “Syphilis?” “Five percent of people in America have it,” said Ty, helpfully. https://t.co/AAU0TlhjEB— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
“I don’t know if I should tell you,” said Jem. “That’s a secret — a secret even from parabatai themselves." https://t.co/Qw5H2GcXXf— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
“Hate bedtime,” said Tavvy, who was sitting in Malcolm’s lap. https://t.co/kcI92okd8Z— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
“Don’t blame yourself,” said Perfect Diego, being perfect. https://t.co/pBgtjatyCS— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
“He doesn’t look like I remember,” said Dru. https://t.co/dGPU5JCZb1— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
Which character are you looking forward to "meeting" / reading about in TDA?Ok, but that's it — then we're done! :) “If we could end love just by willing it, life would be very different!” Tessa said. @arthurmedes— Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) June 29, 2015
Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Published by: Simon Pulse
To Be Released on: 2.9.16
Pre-Order it from: Amazon
Add it to Goodreads
Blackbeard the pirate was known for striking fear in the hearts of the bravest of sailors. But once he was just a young man who dreamed of leaving his rigid life behind to chase adventure in faraway lands. Nothing could stop him—until he met the one girl who would change everything. This is their story.
Edward "Teach" Drummond, son of one of Bristol's richest merchants, has just returned from a year-long journey on the high seas to find his life in shambles. Betrothed to a girl he doesn’t love and sick of the high society he was born into, Teach dreams only of returning to the vast ocean he’d begun to call home. There's just one problem: convincing his father to let him leave and never come back.
Following her parents' deaths, Anne Barrett is left penniless and soon to be homeless. Though she’s barely worked a day in her life, Anne is forced to take a job as a maid in the home of Master Drummond. Lonely days stretch into weeks, and Anne longs for escape. How will she ever realize her dream of sailing to Curaçao—where her mother was born—when she's stuck in England?
From the moment Teach and Anne meet, they set the world ablaze. Drawn to each other, they’re trapped by society and their own circumstances. Faced with an impossible choice, they must decide to chase their dreams and go, or follow their hearts and stay.
From the moment I was first asked to reveal this book's beautiful cover (here), I have been anxiously waiting to get my hands on it. This book has pirates! Especially a telling of Blackbeard! What is not to love about that. Now mix in some romance, and I'm now beyond the patiently waiting to get this book in my hands stage. From the sounds of it, I think this is one debut that will really popular in 2016.
What book are you waiting to get your hands on?
Tuesday, June 30, 2015
TMI Series | NEW UK COVERS Spotlight | CITY OF ASHES by Cassandra Clare | + A GIVEAWAY! #TMIblogtour
Hello and Welcome to the next stop in the TMI Blog Tour, hosted by Walker Books UK! I'm so thrilled to be apart of today's celebration for the re-release of Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series in the UK. This week the series was re-released with the new stunning cover designs. Each day this week one Shadowhunter fansite will be featuring a newly designed cover from the TMI series. Yesterday the cover for City of Bones was featured here, and today I'm thrilled to be spotlighting the new design for City of Ashes.
The artwork was created by Míla Fürstová, an award-winning internationally exhibited artist, who has shown in 20 solo shows in many countries, including Britain, USA, France and the Czech Republic over the last decade. During this time she has won 14 prestigious awards. Her work has become part of important private and public collections, including that of Queen Elizabeth II and the V&A Museum in London and has featured in numerous publications. She also designed the illustration for the CD cover of Coldplay’s Ghost Stories, a big reason why Walker Books commissioned her for these new covers.
- She draws the illustration with a metal needle, exposing the bare metal
- The plate is then immersed in acid and the acid bites into the metal, where it’s exposed, resulting in lines on the plate
- The plate is inked all over, and the ink goes into the lines
- The plate is put through a high-pressure printing press together with a sheet of paper and the paper picks up the ink from the etched lines, making a print
Below is a snippet of the illustration briefing for City of Ashes
We could have Clary and Jace as central characters in this illustration. They are both fighting to stop Valentine from getting the Mortal Instruments and destroying the world.
Valentine is hidden in a ship and the climax of the story is a fight in it. The ship could be illustrated in the background.
There could be one of Clary's sketchbooks on the illustration. Clary discovers she has the power to create new runes, and she will use the opening rune to escape from Valentine.Míla first sent in sketches with her initial thoughts. Then there would be a bit of conversation about the sketch, before she produced the final etching on the metal plate to make the print with. Below is an example that shows the process.
Cover Illustration © 2015 Walker Books Ltd.
ENTER TO WIN
Thank you to Walker Books (UK), I've got an awesome giveaway! 1 winner will win the newly redesigned set of The Mortal Instruments. I personally think the new covers will look stunning on a bookshelf. If you'd like to enter to win, please fill out the form below. Please note this is for residents of the UK only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
In no particular order, here are my Top Ten Books I've read this year so far. Really I should say that I've reviewed. I've read more than I've reviewed on the blog (hangs head in shame).
- Snow Likes Ashes by Sarah Raasch
- The Wrath & The Dawn by Renee Ahdeih
- The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
- Ignite by Sara B. Larson
- Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder
- The Story Spinner by Becky Wallace
- Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway
- The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand
- Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
- The Girl At Midnight by Melissa Grey
These are my top ten, 5 star reviewed books from 2015 so far. I guess I should be thankful I'm a little behind on posting reviews, or else I would have had a much harder time picking my top ten. I love the mix of urban/urban fantasy and contemporary books that I've read so far this year, and that made it to on my list here. I'm finally branching out more, and discovering my love of contemporaries.
These are Top Ten Books I've Read So Far in 2015, what are some of your top ten reads from this year so far?
Happy Book Birthday to today's new release! Some how it's already the last day of June. I'm not sure how that happened. Summer is flying by a little too fast for me. Thankfully today's releases aren't numerous, which means we can still pick up a new title or two, and not feel overwhelmed with our already overcrowded TBR Summer Reading shelves. Before you head out to go soak up the sun, check out today's newest YA releases!
- Between Us and the Moon by Rebecca Maizel, on sale 6.30.15 from Harper Teen
- Storm by Amanda Sun, on sale 6.30.15 from Harlequin Teen
- Under The Lights by Dahila Adler, on sale 6.30.15 from Spencer Hilll
- Faking Perfect by Rebecca Phillips, on sale 6.30.15 from Kensington