Mundie Moms

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Book Review & WIN a copy of Holly Black's The Good Neighbors Series

I received these goodies from Scholastic to review. These are the first graphic novels I've read. I have to say that despite that I'm not a graphic novel reader, they were good. Holly's story line stays true to her form of the traditional faeries. Ted Naifeh's art work really set the mood for the books. This is a new series for Holly and I believe it's going to be a three book series.

3 stars- I Liked It

The story follows Rue, who's mother has disappeared, her father's been arrested for murder, and she's seeing faeries all around her town, when before she couldn't see them. As the short story unravels, Rue learns she is a faerie, the truth about what really happened to her Mom, and that her dad didn't kill anyone. She's got to figure out how to save her friends who keep disappearing and figure out which side she's one. The faerie's or the human side. She needs to decide quick before the once peaceful truce between the faerie world and the human world becomes disastrous for Rue's city and everyone who lives there. Oh, and her grandfather is the leader of the faerie world.


Rue Silver's mother has disappeared . . . and her father has been arrested, suspected of killing her. But it's not as straightforward as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother -- instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her -- and must also defeat a dark faerie that threatens our very mortal world.


Rue Silver's life is not what it appears to be. Her mother is a faerie, and has been taken back to the faerie realm. As Rue goes to bring her back, she must travel deep into an inhuman world. At the same time, the faerie realm is venturing into our world too, and taking its toll on those Rue loves. When her grandfather's plans threaten Rue's city, she realizes that she's the only one who can stop him. But is Rue a human or a faerie? Where does she fit? How does she know the difference between love and enchantment?

Now you can own Book 2 before it's released!!! TO WIN-

1) Leave a comment telling us what you're favorite Faerie book/series is.

I know, this is a hard one. There's so many good series out, like Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, Maggie Stiefvater's Lament, Aprilynne Pike's Wings, and Holly Black's Tithe series just to name a few.

2) Follow us or if you already are, just leave a comment saying you're a follower

For each comment you make, your name will be entered into the drawing. This contest will end Sunday night October 4th. The winner will be drawn at random on Monday October 5th 2009.
**Please don't forgot to leave us a valid email address** We'll notify you via email and post the winner name on the blog.

Good luck!!!

23 comments:

  1. I'm an Admin, so no contest for me BUT, I wanted to jump in to say how much I adore Holly's books!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read these yet so this would be a fabulous prize!!! I would have to say right now, as I wait to get Ballad tomorrow, that Maggie's series is my fave of the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I haven't read that many faerie books YET...but I did love Bones of Faerie. It's really good.

    And I follow you.

    -Lauren
    lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read anything by Holly Black, but this seris sounds interesting. My favorite fairy series so far would have to be Wicked Lovely. :)

    hauntingorchid (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started reading this type of books so I really dont' have a favorite. I have so many to read! Looking forward to it! Thanks
    dcf_beth at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! another contest =]

    1. Favorite faerie book - Wings by Aprilynne Pike, but also like Wicked Lovely series, Tithe series, Woundrous Strange, Need....

    2. and yes I'm a follower.

    linda dot delvalle at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all the aforementioned in my to read pile. I just finished Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter and it was a nice younger read. My favorite faeries so far are Claude and Claudine in the sookie stack house series and the faeries in the MI series. I guess I am needing to do more research/reading. I am currently reading So Fey which is all faery short stories. Its a start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually haven't read any faery type books in a long time. I am looking forward to Kin when it comes in at the library. Winning it would just be even better!

    tigerkat @ bentonharborlibrary.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many good farie book series...between Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr and Meredith Gentry by Laurell K Hamilton.
    PS- I am now a follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shawna Lewis
    weloveourdogs@juno.com


    I just love the book, Poison by Chris Wooding

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shawna Lewis
    weloveourdogs@juno.com

    I am a follower of your Beautiful Blog thanks for this neat giveaway I have never read these books but have wanted to for quiet sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Acacia
    bucsfan12@rocketmail.com

    WOW i really like your blog it is beautiful!!

    Well a fav farie book huh.....Hmmmmm......Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata, Act I by Lisa Mantchev...LOVED IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Acacia
    bucsfan12@rocketmail.com

    I follow your blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Tithe by Holly Black!
    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maggie Stiefvater's Lament is my favorite lately, but I also loved Wondrous Strange and Melissa Marr's series.

    bittahsweetharmony@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm currently a follower! :)

    bittahsweetharmony@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite faerie book is either Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan or Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr.

    paradoxrevealed (at) aim (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a follower.

    paradoxrevealed (at) aim (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wings by Aprilynne Pike is my favorite fairy book/series right now. Oh, and I'm a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite faery book is definitely Lament... I fell in love with Maggie's writing after that book... and I can't wait to read Ballad!

    I'm a follower

    grochowskis@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do not have a favorite yet as I am just now getting into this genre of books! But I am excited to read/listen to some.

    ReplyDelete

Labels