Mundie Moms

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Book Review - HEX HALL

By Rachel Hawkins
Published by Disney Hyperion
Release Date: March 2, 2010
Source: from Disney Hyperion
5 out of 5 stars

Synopsis:(from barnesandnoble.com)
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father-an elusive European warlock-only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


I read the ARC of HEX HALL in less than 24 hours. Yes, it was THAT good. In between dryer cycles, carpool lanes, ballet and swim lessons, I found myself laughing so hard that all heads, belonging to parents, would turn to look at me. And I didn't care, not one bit.

Rachel Hawkins' debut novel, HEX HALL, pushes the edges of YA urban fantasy with a blend of well written chick lit, sprinkled with liberal amounts of humor and a plot that dives into dark depths when you least expect it to take a twist.

Her protagonist, Sophie, is truly an ordinary teenage girl,except for the fact that she's a witch. And her lack of control over her powers has gotten her kicked out of many a high school and landed her at Hecate Hall. Hecate, or Hex, Hall is the last stop for magical children. Think of a high school filled with witches, warlocks, shapeshifters, faeries and oh yes, vampires and you're picturing the setting of Hex Hall.

Your standard high school cliques are all there,only they have magical powers. There are the snooty ones, the brooding ones and the far-too-intelligent-to-be-bothered-with-you ones. They also encounter some standard high school issues - crushes, dances and detention. As the plot develops, you soon learn the real reason why Sophie is now housed in Hex Hall. And to keep this review perfectly spoiler free, I will only hint at the darkness of Rachel's mythology as it unravels.

But,I forgot to mention the very best part, at least for me. And that was the romanting pairing of Sophie and the Snarky-Cute-Boy-On-Campus, Archer. It was so well written that I flipped pages and held my breath whenever they were in mere view of each other.

If you like to read books about an ordinary girl trying to absorb all the extraordinary events around her and still be true to her funny, strong self you will love HEX HALL. I, however, am waiting for the sequel because like most well written first books, HEX HALL will leave you wanting to be hexed again and soon.

9 comments:

  1. 5 Stars! LOVED Hex Hall! I could not put it down once I started it. It's snarky, dark, magically twisty and funny. It's a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I read an excerpt of this book (first chapter) and it was so good that I can't wait till the book comes out. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to read this book!!!Thanks for the great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously had to control the Gush Factor in writing this review. Yes, for me, it was THAT good. Three weeks until the Release Date!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this! Amazing review! :D (I'm even more excited now!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind compliment re: review, it was really easy to write because it's a wonderful book from beginning to end. And it leaves you wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved hex hall too!!!! it kept me turning pages i absolutley absorbed every little thing i could can't wait for the sequel!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your review on this book. I actually saw this book on the shelf and read what is was about and for some reason did not pick it up. Now after reading your review I think I might just go ahead and get it lol. Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. does anyone know is there is another one coming out? and if so when?

    ReplyDelete

Labels