Mundie Moms

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Book Review-Incarceron by Catherine Fisher





















*UK edition, published by Hodder Children's Books
Released May 3, 2007
(to the left)

*US edition, published by Dial
Released January 26, 2010
(to the right)

Source: Gifted from a friend in the UK
3.5 Stars

Incarceron -- a futuristic prison, sealed from view, where the descendants of the original prisoners live in a dark world torn by rivalry and savagery. It is a terrifying mix of high technology -- a living building which pervades the novel as an ever-watchful, ever-vengeful character, and a typical medieval torture chamber -- chains, great halls, dungeons. A young prisoner, Finn, has haunting visions of an earlier life, and cannot believe he was born here and has always been here. In the outer world, Claudia, daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, is trapped in her own form of prison -- a futuristic world constructed beautifully to look like a past era, an imminent marriage she dreads. She knows nothing of Incarceron, except that it exists. But there comes a moment when Finn, inside Incarceron, and Claudia, outside, simultaneously find a device -- a crystal key, through which they can talk to each other. And so the plan for Finn's escape is born ...

Incarceron was once a utopia, now alive and very malevolent, it allows no one to enter or leave. Each chapter of the book has a legend, decree or short letter made by people who first lived in Incarceron and Sappique, the one person who has escaped and who's legend fuels Finn and his three companions hope for their freedom. While Finn's searches for Freedom, Claudia, who lives on the outside and is the prison warden's daughter, finds her arranged marriage with a prince, who wasn't her original betrothed, unexpectedly moved up. Now just days away, Claudia's hunt for a way into Incarceron intensifies and when she outwits her father and steals the key, she finds that she can see and talk to the the holder of the key's companion, Finn.

Fueled by the feeling that Finn is her betrothed prince, who disappeared years ago, Claudia finds a way to help free Finn. With only flashbacks of stars and what appears to be a royal party, Finn can't remember who he is, but knows he wasn't born in the prison. The narrative of the story switches between Claudia and Finn, but intensifies as the motivates of some of the minor characters are revealed and plot twists ensue.

Incarceron started out a little slow for me, and I found my self having to re-read a few things, as I was a little lost. Once I got about half way through the book, I found myself trapped in the story and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. The ending has a great plot twist and a cliff hanger that will have you wanting Sappique, due out in December of this year (in the US). If you're like me and can't wait that long, I already bought the UK edition, which I *needed*, as my Incarceron was a gift from a UK friend. This is one I recommend for middle schoolers on up.

5 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading this and enjoying it quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book too... the cover had me hooked when I saw it at the book store and when I read the description I knew I had to have it. Can't wait for the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I kind of want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the book too. I got excited and bought the sequel from the UK and was very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard that from someone else. I think I might put off reading the sequel for a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Labels