Mundie Moms

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Book Review - The Iron Daughter


By Julie Kagawa
Published by Harlequin Teen

Released On August 1,2010
Source- Netgalley
5 Stars

Synopsis: (from netgalley.com)
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen.


As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron Fey, iron-bound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's alone in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

See I have a thing about sequels -- they either hit the mark or they don't. There's no in-between point, at least not for me.

And I loved The Iron King's mythology, charcters and plot, so I did have to wonder could Julie Kagawa do that all over again? Well,YA Fantasy Fans, she did even more!

What I adored the most about The Iron King was the mythology -- the nod to traditional faerie lore and then the completely justified and believable addition of an Iron Court. This tilted the familiar power struggle between the Seelie and the Unseelie Courts and created complete chaos. It was exhilirating to read through it. But now what?

Well, Julie answered that question. She answered it in spades. When we last left Meaghan and Ash they were on their way to Ash's home, The Winter Court. Not exactly the turf that a Summer Court Princess (albeit half-human, half-fey) would feel comfortable in but Meaghan had made a promise to Ash and to the fey, promises are everything.

I'm going to keep this review spoiler-free, so let me just say that the book may start off with the fulfillment of a promise but where it leads you is so unbelievably unexpected that you will be gasping out loud. I've read a few books like this, so chock full of action that you find it exhilirating to turn the pages only to discover that there's even more. Isn't that the best part? I'm going to take a moment and compare Julie's action writing sequences to those of my favorite YA fantasy author, Cassandra Clare. Yes, they are THAT good. That unbelievably good.

But that's not the best part. The very best part were the characters' arcs -- Meaghan's, Ash's and Puck's. Their back-stories, journeys and amazing transformations were so credible that I found my heart aching for them.

And please, don't even ask if there's romance. There is unbelievable, forbidden, beautiful romance. Again, my hat's off to Julie, who wrote the scene on page 99 so well, that I had to text a few of my close bookwormish pals just to vent. What did the text say, you ask? It said, "He's breaking my heart, but in a good way."

A full five-stars to Julie Kagawa's The Iron Daughter. If you love action, romance and watching how characters mature through heart-wrenching trials, you will love this story as much as I do.

6 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading this book :) And Loving it XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great!

    Now I am even more excited for it, I am jealous that I can't read it yet :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished this book this past weekend and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book Monster - Love to know your thoughts when your done.

    Dawn - It'll be out soon. I read it as an ecopy if that helps. So it was a true labor of love. LOL. And yes, it was that good.

    Stacy (Wicked Walker) - It's getting consistently excellent reviews. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good, but it sounds way to much like Need by Carrie Hones. Like Hush Hush was way to alike Fallen by Lauren Kate for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BookFreak - I've read Need by Carrie Jones and this is nothing like that. Completely different mythologies, for a start. And lots of action and unbelievable romance.

    I can see the similarities between Hush, Hush and FALLEN but not between Need and TIK/TID, tho'.

    If you check it out, I'd love to know your thoughts and if your initial reaction holds true.

    ReplyDelete

Labels