Mundie Moms

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Author Interview with Allan Stratton

We're excited to share with you an interview with had with Allan Stratton, author of Chanda's Secrets and Borderline.

There were times when I was reading Borderline that I forgot I was reading a novel, as it was so real. What inspired you to write the story?

Two life experiences almost certainly fueled BORDERLINE:

My mom left my dad when I was a baby. Growing up, I was soon aware that the father I knew was very different from the father my half-brother knew, and even more different than the father my half-sister knew. As a teenager I thought, “If I can’t really know my dad, how can I know anyone? How can anyone know anyone?”

The second experience happened to me when I was eight. I was hiding under the picnic table and eavesdropping on a conversation Dad was having with my grandparents about capital punishment. I remember breaking into a cold sweat, overcome with the certainty that one day I’d be executed for a crime I didn't commit. The idea that life isn’t fair has stuck with me ever since -- and that horrible sense of how helpless we are in the face of rumor, gossip and fear.


What kind of research did you do, to add that realism to Borderline?

I have lots of Muslim friends and attended mosque with them, as well as giving them the text to fact-check. On the other side of things, my stepsister works for Canadian Border Services

How would you describe Sami's character?

I think Sami's a smart, loyal, funny, gutsy guy who struggles with a very tricky balance in his search for indentity: how to fit in while remaining true to himself. I think he's like all of us in that respect.

What would you like your readers to take away from reading Borderline?

I hope readers embrace Sami and take him into their heart as a true friend. I hope he and his family put a human face to the Muslim community for readers who only know vicious media stereotypes.

Which character did you most enjoy writing the most?

Sami, of course. And Mr. Bernstein. But I love his Mom. And Andy and Marty, his friends are such likeable goofs that, well... hmmm... Hard question. Impossible really. It's like asking a parent to pick a favorite child! :)

Are there any projects you are currently working on, that we can look forward to reading?

I'm currently working on a medieval fantasy called The Grave Robber's Apprentice that will be coming out with HarperCollins. But even more fun -- my novel Chanda's Secrets (see my website) has been made into a film called LIFE ABOVE ALL. It just premiered at the Cannes film Festival to a standing ovation and raves from Roger Ebert and others. Here are a few links, including the Cannes film trailer:

I blogged about being on the set in South Africa during December for anyone interested.

So long for now! Thanks for having me on!

Thank you Allan for taking the time to answer our questions. We're looking forward to your feature releases. If you'd like to visit Allan and learn more about his books, please visit him here www.allanstratton.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh the new fantasy book sounds intriguing! And how exciting to be in Cannes with a film -- v v cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fascinating and I love how Allan used his life experience to enrich his book!

    ReplyDelete

Labels