Mundie Moms

Friday, July 2, 2010

Eclipse- Movie Review


*Spoilers below*

I know we normally post book reviews, but I really wanted to share my review of Eclipse. This is the third time that a few of us have hosted a private midnight showing for a Twilight Saga movie. Each year the movies get better and better. I'm going to be completely honest and say I was the biggest doubter for Eclipse. I didn't think the writing or the direction for the movie would be even close to as good as it was.

Eclipse was BRILLIANT! I absolutely loved it. David Slade did such an amazing job at bringing the darker side to the bad vamps to the big screen. Not only that, but Melissa did an amazing job with the writing. Yes, there's always things that don't go in order or things they take out or add to the movie, that aren't exact in the book. There were some things they changed from the book to the movie that I didn't like, but over all I think the movie was great. I think they captured everything that I had hoped for and more.

For me, the onscreen chemistry was amazing. For the first time in the Twilight movie saga, I felt I was actually seeing the characters and not just the actors acting. They all brought the characters to life. They all seemed a lot more comfortable with who they portraying. I saw Bella's struggle with being torn on her decision to be turned. Edward's jealousy is played perfectly and I loved that Jacob's anger at Bella's decision and his strong will to fight for Bella's heart was evident. One character who stole the show was Charlie. His lines were the best! The only problem I have with the actors portrayals, was Bryce Dallas Howard's as Victoria. I've never been a fan when a franchise replaces an actor after the second movie, and this time around was no different. I think Summit's biggest mistake was replacing Rachelle. Victoria wasn't the same for me.

The scenes were great. I really liked that they added scenes from The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. The flash backs for the Quileute Legends, Jasper and Rosalie were amazing. I think that was another reason why David Slade was so perfect for Eclipse. Their scenes are more graphic, and David brought them to life perfectly for the movie. The only scene I wish we got to see more of, was Bella's vision she has in the book when she and Jacob kiss, but despite that, it was good. The tent scene was brilliant. I'm so glad they kept a lot of the same dialogue between Jacob and Edward. The one liners that Edward and Charlie have through out the movie had our theater laughing out loud. The bedroom scene with Edward and Bella (no, not that type of scene), with the engagement was good. I wish they had stayed truer to the book Edward than trying to make him more worldly so to speak. They should have left in why he was so against doing you know what w/ Bella, instead of making it seem like he didn't want to hurt her. Which, that is part of it, but in the book there's so much more to it.

I'm not always a big fan when they make some drastic changes from the book to the movie, but I loved that they made Jessica valedictorian. Her speech was so perfect. Above all, I really liked seeing a lot more interaction with the Cullen Family, and the Wolves. I missed that in the other movies. I give 5 stars to Eclipse. As I said, I was a HUGE doubter, but David proved me wrong, and kudos to him for making such a wonderful movie. Over all Eclipse was awesome. As soon as it ended I wanted to watch it again.


8 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with everything! I loved it and thought it was the best one of all three. You can really tell the difference and the acting was so much better I actually liked Bella in this one. I agree with the Victoria thing too, definitely not the right move. Can't wait to see it again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I loved Eclipse. It is definitely the best movie so far. I have seen it 3 times so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with *EVERYTHING* you said. Every single detail in this review made me nod my head in agreement. The biggest thing for me was the thing with Victoria. I truly despised that new actress. I have no idea who she is and she may be a fine actress, but she can't hold a candle to Rachelle LeFavre's interpretation of Victoria. And now that Victoria had the biggest role and the most scenes, why would they switch the actress?

    Everything about this movie was 100000% great. I seriously didn't even really want to see the movie because I was SO SICK with Twilight. I am not the type of person to hate a franchise b/c it gets a lot of hype but I grew bored and almost annoyed with how much I was exposed to Twilght (still am a supporter and bought Bree Tanner, etc) but really didnt think this movie was going to pull me back in. BOY, was I WRONG!! I now want to re-read all the books.

    Also, the FLASHBACKS were great!!!! Loved seeing Rosalie's life before... it's nice that she got to speak her mind in the movies instead of just coming across off as a bitch. There's more to her and I'm glad she got her time to shine. Also I didn't know she was raped? Maybe they added that to the movie and wasn't from the book... but either way, it was done really well. Jasper's flashback was great too, it was nice seeing some history. Also loved Alice and Jasper's kiss.

    I can't say enough about this movie!!! I want it to come out on DVD already it was THAT good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hoping to see it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous-
    I agree about the flashbacks. I gathered from the books that she was raped, but David did a great job at leaving it the way he did. I loved that he showed Rosalie coming in the door w/ red eyes and a wedding dress. My heart broke for her even more. It was so sweet seeing Alice and Jasper together more.

    I think David did such a great job at bringing everyone together in the movie. I'm with you, I can't say enough about the movie. I wish it was on DVD already too.

    Elizabeth-lucky! lol

    Cynthia-I can't wait to see it again either.

    Melina- ENJOY it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved it. I finally got to see my Book Edward. And I agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you definitely read my thoughts, okay? I completely agree with what you said, especially about Bryce as Victoria. I also think the relationship between Bella and Jacob wasn't so explored as it is in the book. She wasn't so angry when he kissed her for the first time. It was, like, in the following day, they were all smiles, you know? Pff. I may go on Monday again to pay attention on what I had not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raila- I wish they explored more of the Bella being made at Jacob too. I'm looking forward to watching it again just to pick it up more.

    ReplyDelete

Labels