Mundie Moms

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Book Review: Beastly

by Alex Flinn
Published by Harper Teen
Released October 2007
3 Stars- It was a good read.

I am a beast.
A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.
I decided to read this before the movie comes out at the end of the month. All in all I really enjoyed the book. I an not really a fan of retakes on fairytales- and I think I may like the movie more, cause it looks different.

The story starts off in a chat room, where other fairytale creatures are talking about their changes. This carries on through out the book, and offers comical relief. I know most of ya'll know the story, but I will go ahead and give you a synopsis.

Kyle is the "prince" of his high school, or so he thinks. Kyle gets upset with the new girl Kendra, and decides to play a cruel joke on her. Kendra turns out to be a witch, and curses him. He has to find someone to love him for who he is, to reverse the curse. He only has two years.

He turns into a beast. When looks mean everything to your family and friends, Kyle is soon shunned, and hidden away from the public eye. During his time locked up, he views life through a magic mirror. He does get out every now and then at night, when he can stay hidden.

Kyle gives up on his old life and starts referring to him self as Adrian. Adrian starts to learn the value of beauty, through his rose garden. But time is running out and Adrian, still had not found true love.

Adrian ends up saving a girl from her dangerous lifestyle. Will he have enough time to make Lindy fall in love with him and reverse the curse?


I couldn't find a trailer for the book, but here is one for the movie. Jace favorite Alex Pettyfer plays Kyle.







Reviewed by Pixie

10 comments:

  1. Great review Amber! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one. Great review Amber! =) I'm really looking forward to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw recently that this movie isn't coming out until March 2011 now! I was a little disappointed because I was planning on seeing it this month.

    http://www.beastlythemovie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, they pushed it till then? It was suppose to be out in June, then they pushed it back to July. I can't wait till March 2011! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting (not so) patiently for this movie. And oh the book!! It's been on my TBR. Amber, thank you so much for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH! I was SO gonna pick this book up when I went to Borders two days ago. Now I have an excuse to make another trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the book. I read it years backs and I'm anxiously waiting for the film.
    I read the book within a day, it was so good.
    Can't wait to see Alex Pettyfer as Kyle/Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, especially Neil Patrick Harris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey
    i love this website and i get all my information from here :) so i just wanted to let people know that there is now OFFICALLY a VAMPIRE ACADEMY MOVIE!

    these books are the amazing and are my second favirote as first is the IM series of course :)

    here is the url
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-VAMPIRE-ACADEMY-Movie/132065663494472

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummed the movie was pushed to 2011 release. We were really waiting for it since January! LOL.
    At least I have time to read the book first. :D

    ReplyDelete

Labels