Mundie Moms

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Movie Review- Avatar, The Last Airbender

No, we're not going to be posting movie reviews all the time, but with this being such a beloved book series, and a cartoon series, I wanted to review the movie. I know there's been a lot of bad reviews about it lately, but I liked it.

We're huge fans of the animated Avatar, The Last Airbender series in our household. I was looking forward to seeing how it was brought to life on the big screen.

Let me just say that no series, whether animated or in book form is ever perfectly brought to life on the big screen. Having said that, I think the movie was good. Yes, they changed a few things around, but what I saw, I liked. I think the actors did a great job. I liked that key scenes were kept in the movie, and I really liked seeing the action scenes.

The fight scenes were true to the animated series form, the CGI was good, and I really liked that he kept all the characters. The only compliant I have is that they pronounced two names wrong. I know there's been some bad reviews in how M Night Shyamalan made the movie, but I thought he did a good job and I'm looking forward to seeing the other two movies. I liked that the creators of the show were also the executive producers of the movie.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars, because there is so much that he would have had to pack into the movie to make it 5 stars. It would have been impossible and it wouldn't have done the series justice by making it a three hour movie. I think it was smart breaking the movies up, similar to how each of the books are.

10 comments:

  1. We just went to it yesterday, and I was pleased with what they did. I loved the action scenes as well and seeing them bend their elements.

    My daughter said the same things about the names. It's bugged her a bit. I don't know why they do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!! My family and I liked it too. Everytime I tell someone, they act thoroughly surprised because of the reviews, which really frustrates me. I thought for a movie adaptation, it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this yesterday and really liked it. I thought it was good. It did take me a little bit to get used name being pronounced differently, but it didn't ruin it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Lisa :)

    I don't get why people don't like it. I thought it was brought to the big screen in a good way. I still don't get why the pronounce two of the names wrong, but it doesn't make me not like the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok i saw the movie really expecting M Night to do great to the legend of the animated series which i watched every episode devoutly and i honestly was disappointed with getting names wrong, jumping around the story line as well as leaving out small yet very needed scenes and developing the characters to let us really get a sense of who they are like the part where zuko helps aang escape that should have confused everyone that he goes from pure hated towards aang to risking his life and going against so many foe it just didnt work and if M Night makes a sequel he had better change what he does or his Director, Writer, Producer career will crash

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree DemonNecron. M Night needs to be more consistent with the rest of the movies to make them successful. There's a lot of little things that need to be left in the movie and stay true to the cartoon series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me and my family went to see it one night, and it was OK. We knew why M. Night pronounced the names differently(he wanted the correct asian pronunciation). We saw it a second time yesterday, and we wondered why we thought it wasn't all that good the first time! It was an excellent movie, and although there were not a lot of lines, it was awesome! This movie really should make it big, and I don't even know why it got bad reviews. It really is a good movie, although they did need to develope the characters more and such, but overall I would agree with mundiemoms, 4 out of 5. Excellent movie, a great one for the library, will be awesome on Blue Ray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great point about the name pronunciation Anonymous. Thank you! I'm looking forward to adding it to my DVD library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand the name change even though it did bothered me, but what really threw me off was the narration and the botched up scenes. M. Night rushed the movie so much that he had to narrate parts that should have been developed like the character's relationships. Over all it really wasn't the best movie or the worst, but I have to admit that I did not enjoy the movie. I know that adaptations are never perfect, but I feel that it could have been done much better.

    ReplyDelete

Labels