Mundie Moms

Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review- Spy Glass


By Maria V Snyder

Published by Mira
Released August 24th, 2010
Source- the Author
4 stars- I really enjoyed this book

An undercover mission leads to danger, adventure and an impossible choice. After siphoning her own blood magic in the showdown at Hubal, Opal Cowan has lost her powers. She can no longer create glass magic. More, she's immune to the effects of magic. Opal is now an outsider looking in, spying through the glass on those with the powers she once had, powers that make a difference in the world. Until spying through the glass becomes her new power. Suddenly, the beautiful pieces she makes flash in the presence of magic. And then she discovers that someone has stolen some of her blood - and that finding it might let her regain her powers. Or know it could be they are lost forever.

Spy Glass is a great ending for the Glass series. Maria V Snyder included all of my favorite characters from the series, including Valek. His character played a huge part in Opal's character growth. While I wasn't very impressed with her character at the very beginning of the book, I really liked her by the end.

With out giving too many spoilers away, at the end of Sea Glass Opal sacrificed her magic in order to save lives. With the start of Spy Glass, she's mourns the loss of her magic as she feels she's lost who she is and her purpose in life. In order to find her identity she decides to go in search of a getting back her magic and a hidden vial with her blood in it. Like everything that has gone on in Opal's life, the journey to find the hidden vial that the Daviian Warpers stole will be far from easy.


I loved that Maria didn't hold back on the cast of great characters who returned to the story like, Yelena, Valek, Ari, Janco, Nic, Eve, Kade, Devlen, and more, including some new characters. There's no shortage of romance. Opal finds herself torn between Devlen and Kade, and the one she choose was no surprise to me. I know some fans couldn't figure out how she could choose the person she did, but to me, it's something Maria hinted at in Sea Glass. I really liked how Opal's choice is played out and explained, as Kade and Opal and also Opal and Devlen figure out what they really want.

I think Maria V Snyder did a great job in wrapping up the Glass series. She stayed true to Opal's character and voice through out the series. There were times I found myself irritated at Opal, as she does make a few not so stellar choices, but that's part of her character's growth. Spy Glass is full of dark twists, magic, romance and is action packed. If you've read the Magic Study Series and the Glass series, I recommend picking up Spy Glass.

You find out more about the Magic and Glass series on Maria's new site here http://officialmariavsnyder.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. This really sounds like an intriguing series that I need to check out.

    Thanks for a great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same about Opal at first, I didn't really like her character but I read the series because I had read the Study books and loved them. However, by the end of Sea Glass I really liked Opal. I can't wait to read the last book, and I am so unbelievably happy that Valek is back! I have missed him. This review has definitely got me excited all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series yet. It sounds great! Thanks for the review, it's going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okie- It's a great series. It's a spin off from her Study series. I think they have re-released the books under the YA genre.

    Booknerd10- Valek plays a big part in Spy Glass, which I loved. I really liked that all the characters through out the series make an appearance in the book. Valek was definitely my favorite.

    Heather-It's so good. It was originally written for adults, though there's no adult context in the books. I think they're now marketing it for the YA genre. I highly recommend her Study series and the Glass series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing about this Valek -- LOL. Sounds like I'd love him. Thanks for a great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels