Mundie Moms

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Book Revew: The Chronicles of Vlad - Eighth Grade Bites


Written by: Heather Brewer
Publisher: Dutton Childrens Books (Penguin Group USA)
Released: August 16, 2007
Source: Purchased
5 stars: I loved this book and highly recommend it!

Synopsis (from Penguin Group): Vlad has to keep his vampire urges under control while dealing with the pressures of middle school.

Thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod really hates junior high. Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: His mother was human, but his father was a vampire. With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: He’s being hunted by a vampire killer.

Two confessions: I love a good vampire story that doesn't take itself seriously. And I had to wrestle this book away from my 6th Grade son.

You see, my son's school requires him to read a book and complete a four page report on it every two weeks. Generally, I try to read his selections first. I'm one of "those mamas" who wants to make sure I know what my children are reading at all times. But I didn't pre-read Eight Grade Bites so there was a bit of a tug of war and many exclamations ending with, "Mama, you can read it while I'm in school!"

But, let me talk about the book itself and why it created that tug-of-war. First there's Vlad. An orphaned vampire living with his Aunt Nelly and trying hard to fit in with his Eighth Grade classmates. Feel free to conclude that he doesn't. Fortunately, he has a best friend, Henry, who knows his secret. And Aunt Nelly's job as a nurse keeps Vlad stocked with bags of almost-expired blood, which every growing vampire needs. So really, how bad can Vlad's life be?

Well, things take a turn for the worse when a beloved teacher disappears and a substitute teacher, Mr. Otis, shows up. And he's not your typical sub. He wears a top hat and seems to pick on Vlad. I mean, he gives him an assignment where he has to do a presentation on, what else but, vampires?!?!

What I adored about the book was the voice of Vlad. He is one strong kid, determined to understand his heritage and determined to keep the bonds of family and friendship. He is also extremely funny (from p. 147):
"We need to feed, Vlad."
"On a...person?" Vlad's stomach lurched as the last word passed over his tongue. It was all he could do to keep from puking. Blood was tasty but these were his neighbors. And just think of the looks he might get at the next block party if he got caught. Pointing accompanied by frantic whispers. Isn't that the kid who ate Billy. No way.
Book 5 of the Chronicles of Vlad: Twelfth Grade Kills is in stores now. I ran out and bought the remaining four. Because, well, there are more book reports. My son is already 40 pages into Ninth Grade Slays and this Mundie Mom needs to catch up.

If you like a well written vampire tale that slowly introduces a much bigger mythology through the eyes of a very sympathetic character, pick up The Chronicles of Vlad and join us in reading them. Oh, and why yes, my son did get an "A" on his report. Somehow, I know that Vlad, who likes doing English reports, would love to know that.


5 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about this series. I need to check it out for myself. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added this series to my list after meeting Heather Brewer at the Texas Book Festival, she was awesome! I can't wait to read this one, if you loved it than I'm sure I will too! Great review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Cynthia- She is absolutely awesome!

    Sophie- What a great review. Thank you so much for sharing it. I've already got this in my never ending pile of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renae -- Do check it out. It's a quick read but oh, what a well written story. Thanks for you kind words re: post.

    Cynthial11 -- Wish my son and I could meet Heather. I'm sure we'd ask her a gazillion questions. LOL. She seems awesome from her website! Have you guys seen it?? There's even a Vlad store?? http://bit.ly/ah4Wrl Vampiric cuteness!!

    Mundie Moms -- Thank you. Vlad is now battling out with you-know-who for Top Vampire Spot (in my head, of course). LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a P.S. to my review -- part of my excitementin reading this series is watching Vlad grow up and mature over time. I have to admit that I'm looking forward to that. :D

    ReplyDelete

Labels