Mundie Moms

Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review- Vampire Crush

By A.M. Robinson
Published by Harper Teen
Released on December 28th, 2010
Source- ARC from The Publisher
4.5 Stars- Go Pick This Book Up

I swear, my life was always totally normal.

Normal house, normal family, normal school. My looks are average, I don't have any superpowers, no one's showing up to tell me I'm a princess—you get the picture. But when my junior year started, something not normal happened. There were new kids at school . . . new kids with a wardrobe straight out of a 19th-century romance novel, and an inexplicable desire to stay at school until sundown.

And on top of that, James Hallowell showed up. James, who stole my sandwiches in fourth grade and teased me mercilessly through middle school. James, who now seems to have the power to make my heart race any time he comes near.

But something weird is going on. Because James rarely goes out during the day. And he seems stronger than your typical guy. And he knows the new kids, all of whom seem to be harboring some kind of deep secret. . . . (quoted by Goodreads).

Vampire Crush is a fun, quick, enjoyable read. This debut book is nothing that I thought it would be and I enjoyed that element of surprise. It has a cast of great characters, an indulging plot and brings to the table a mix of charm, wit and sarcasm all rolled together. What makes this book so much fun is it's narration. It's hilarious and at times laugh out loud funny, especially when Sophie makes a comment about what she thinks vampires should do- sparkle in the sun, be invited into the house and so on.

Vampire Crush starts off with Sophie wanting to be chosen as the high school paper's editor in chief. When she's given the assignment to interview 6 of the new students, she's faced with a problem. They don't want to talk to her and they're harboring secrets. When a childhood friend and next door neighbor returns, Sophie finds James is a different, hotter and has a connection to the 6 new students.

What I like about Sophie is she's witty, sarcastic, strong willed, and stubborn as she doesn't back down when she wants something and doesn't take much crap from people. I mean that in a nice way, as Sophie's world is about to get rocked with the unimaginable, vampires. Don't think this just another Twilight book, as it's not even close. Sophie's just can't seem to stay out of trouble as her reporter side wants to get to the bottom of what this group is hiding.

I liked that Sophie, who is some what of a loner at school, turns into this protective person once she learns why the new students are here. After all they are a clan of vampires with a volatile leader, Vlad. If it weren't for James, she wouldn't know much about their history. The more she investigates, the more trouble she gets into and the more James is there to help her. I also liked the way Sophie befriends two of the female vampires from the group.

The characters are fun, the high school setting was well written and the romance was great. Okay, I really loved the romance as it's the sweet boy & girl next door type. James and Sophie have a long history together, as they've known each other for years, never acted on the crushes they've both had, but it's their snarky comments to each other I enjoyed the most. I couldn't help myself but laugh out loud when these two dish it to each other. It's done in such a funny manner, like when Sophie finds out what James is and makes the comment he doesn't sparkle in the sun. Their romance is one I enjoyed, as the crush they've both secretly had for years slowly develops into something more. Plus James takes on the protective role and I'll admit I have a weakness for the "knight in shinning armor" role.

Vampire Crush is a such a fun, engaging, laugh out loud read, and I'm so glad I didn't shrug this off to being "just another vampire book." A.M. Robinson's debut book is one I'd highly recommend. She's created a wonderful vampire world complete with history, clans/families, and I enjoyed being apart of her vampire lore, as she adds a unique spin to her story and what brings Vlad's clan to Sophie's town. If you're looking for an enjoyable read with great paranormal characters, lots of snark and a sweet romance, go pick up Vampire Crush.

8 comments:

  1. I've mean meaning to find out more about this book and have wondered if it was worthwhile. Thank you for such a great review! :-) I'll have to pick it up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one and loved that it didn't take itself seriously. The wooden spoon incident was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJ- It's worth reading!

    Sara- I agree!! The humor was one of the best parts to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, I think I'll pick this up! If I hadn't read your review I wouldn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROTFL! I literally downloaded this to my ereader two days ago and started reading it last night!! I'm laughing and I'm only 100 pages into it!!! Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I have to get this book. I'm a sucker for vampires!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This needs to be added to my favorite reads in 2010! It's a really fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I read this review! I hadn't heard of this book and it sounds right up my alley!! I love sarcastic snarky romances!! Thanks for the review!! And I could read almost all of it in reader, except the first white/yellow paragraph.
    I can't wait to read this!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels