Mundie Moms

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book Review- The Crescent


By Jordan Deen
Published by Black Rose Writing
Released on January 14th, 2010
Source- Bought
2.5 stars- I Wanted To Like It More

Becoming a werewolf is not an option for seventeen-year-old Lacey Quinn, but death can be a strong motivator.
Lacey is so focused on her future that everyday life has passed her by. Counting down the days to her eighteenth birthday, Lacey is almost home free. But when she falls for the mysterious Alex Morris, she lands in the middle of an ancient war between two enemy wolf packs. Tempting dreams, tantalizing lies and a dangerous love triangle ensues leaving Lacey heartbroken and confused.
Lacey's fate rests in the hands of Alex and Brandon, but both are pulling her strings for their own agendas. Even as she slips further into the dark world of werewolves, Lacey struggles to find the truth and save the only family she's ever know (quoted from Goodreads)

Being a huge wolf fan, I was really looking forward to reading The Crescent, as I was eager to read a wolf story mixed with lore, romance and action. Sadly, I didn't get into as much as I wanted to. Don't get me wrong, Jordan Deen has a great love triangle, but what bothered me the most about the book's main character Lacey, is even after she realizes which of the guys/werewolves isn't right, she continues to be with him, even after professing her love for the other one. To be honest, I almost put the book down half way through as I was so frustrated with the main character as she kept feeling one way and acting another.

Lacey is in the heart of a tug of war between two packs, both of which have her heart. Alex is the hot, new student who's got his eyes on Lacey. He does everything he can to make her his world and even his words sweep her off her feet. Then there's the equally good looking Brandon who makes Lacey feel complete. She's constantly dreaming about him and he makes her feel safe. Here lies Lacey's problem- how do you choose between someone you've started to fall in love and someone you feel you've loved your whole life. These feelings are a lot more complicated when your human, vs being a wolf. If Lacey chooses the wrong guy, her bond and future mate will die, resulting in her death, destroying the prophecy.

Over all I felt the story was lacking in it's flow and at times found myself confused as to what was happening, as I felt some major details were left out of the story, which I'm hoping will be explained in the sequel. There were times I also enjoyed reading Lacey's story and getting to know the characters around her, and I feel in love with her dog Grant. I'm eager to find out if my suspicions on who he is are correct. I sympathized with Lacey as she begins to learn the truth in who she is, and the prophecy she is to fulfill. Everything she thought she knew about her life changes in short amount of time. In the end of the story, I enjoyed some of the plot twits, seeing the packs in action, and Lacey making her decision. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next, and what will become of some of the characters when Half Moon is released.

3 comments:

  1. Despite of all the flaws stated, I want to read it as I always like werewolves. And I don't think I've read ancient werewolf pack war before. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlyn- That was my feeling when I read it as well. I wanted to really like it more than I did. However, I would recommend reading it to read the sequel, Half Moon which is a fabulous follow up! I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like the book that much either. I really had a problem with the male characters, especially Alex. His voice and behavior just didn't fit with a teen boy in my mind. Although, I am curious to find out what happens with Brandon after Lacey runs off with him, so I will probably get around to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Labels