Mundie Moms

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Book Review- Desires of the Dead

Published by Harper Teen
Released TODAY (2/15/2011)
Source- ARC/Published Book from Harper Teen
4 stars- Great Read, Go Pick It Up

The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger (quoted from Goodreads)

A wonderful sequel to a fabulous debut book.

I really fell in love with the world and the main characters Kimberly created in The Body Finder, and I enjoyed being back in their world with Desires of the Dead. I enjoy the setting and the pace in which Kimberly's are set and how well they flow. Like The Body Finder, Desires of the Dead is a book that sucked me in and took my emotions on a roller coaster ride. One moment it's suspenseful, and the next moment I'm laughing out loud at a sarcastic remark that a character says or I'm sighing over the romantic chemistry between Jay and Violet.

I liked that the story picks up right where The Body Finder left off. This time around Violet finds herself in more of limbo. Jay and Violet's relationship is taking to the next step, she inadvertently becomes involved with a FBI case/missing person's case and struggles with opening up to a new character about her ability. She's also finding it harder to open up to Jay, which results in her keeping more secrets. I really love the fact that Jay and Violet are written so realistically. It was so easy to understand their feelings, frustrations, hurt and love for each other. Kimberly throws in new characters into the story and one with a morbid fascination for Jay, that has Violet questioning what the characters true intentions are.

Like The Body Finder, Kimberly does a fascinating job at not only writing from Violet's point of view, but also from the stalker's/ killer's point of view (I'm leaving this spoiler free). In doing so, I was able to sympathize with this new character a little more. There are some great twists, turns, surprises and clues given through out the story that will keep you guessing, and towards the end Kimberly pieces everything together nicely. I didn't find Desires of The Dead as suspenseful as The Body Finder, but it was still are a great read. Really, who doesn't want to read more about Jay and Violet's fascinating ability?

Desires of the Dead is a great sequel and I'm really looking forward to reading more books in the series. Even with the book ending in a great spot, I want more. I really want to know what's going to happen with Jay & Violet next and I'm looking forward to finding out more about some of the characters who were introduced. There is a scene between Jay and Violet and I appreciate the tactful way in which Kimberly wrote it. I definitely recommend picking the book up, and I think it makes a great book for older teens.

I'm also giving away 1 copy of Desires of the Dead, which has been added to our Birthday Bash post.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting on this one! The first novel was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful review! Violet and Jay's relationship is, of course, my favorite aspect of the series and I love how realistic/believable they are. I truly CARE about them, you know? I liked how the tone of this one was different than TBF as it gave it a new, fresh feel--if that makes sense. :-) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KM- It's a great sequel! I hope you enjoy it.

    Heather- I LOVE TBF!! That is my favorite book out of the series so far, but DotD is a good sequel and I love Jay and Violet's relationship.

    DJ- Thank you! I completely know what you're talking about. Jay and Violet are so believable. I love being able to spend time in their world. DotD is different than TBF, and I agree, it does add a fresh feel to the series.

    ReplyDelete

Labels