Mundie Moms

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Book Review- The Iron Witch

By Karen Mahoney
Published by Flux
To Be Released on February 8th, 2011
Source- Flux
4.5 stars- It's a fantastic read

Freak. That's what her classmates call seventeen-year-old Donna Underwood. When she was seven, a horrific fey attack killed her father and drove her mother mad. Donna's own nearly fatal injuries from the assault were fixed by magic—the iron tattoos branding her hands and arms. The child of alchemists, Donna feels cursed by the magical heritage that destroyed her parents and any chance she had for a normal life. The only thing that keeps her sane and grounded is her relationship with her best friend, Navin Sharma.

When the darkest outcasts of Faerie—the vicious wood elves—abduct Navin, Donna finally has to accept her role in the centuries old war between the humans and the fey. Assisted by Xan, a gorgeous half-fey dropout with secrets of his own, Donna races to save her friend—even if it means betraying everything her parents and the alchemist community fought to the death to protect (quoted from Goodreads).

I love a story that introduces me to fantastic characters, has a plot that keeps me guessing, and leaves feeling satisfied, but also wanting more. The Iron Witch is a wonderful, captivating read that holds magic, romance, and danger within it's pages. It's a story that blends together fairytale and lore perfectly.

Donna Underwood is a breathe of fresh air! Her character completely drew me into her world. She's someone who I completely loved getting to know, as she's a fierce, loyal, devoted friend, and someone who can kick your butt, and yet has a bit of innocence to her. She has a fabulous voice and is someone I related to on a few levels and a character I came to admire. Donna has a special ability, a magical power if you will and through out the course of her story and with the help of her love interest Xan, she realizes she doesn't need to hide who she really is. I'm saying that vaguely so I don't give anything away.

I completely loved the love triangle Karen wrote, as Donna has this fabulous best friend Navin, and then Xan. Navin is a brilliant character as he and Donna have been friends for years. He's been her rock and the one person who's made her feel normal, though she's far from it. Then there's Xan. I completely love his character, though there's something about him that makes me wonder what Karen will reveal about him in the next book. He's far from perfect, and that's one of the things I like about him. Donna and Xan's chemistry is spellbinding and I couldn't get enough and yet wanted more of them.

Along with a fabulous mix of human and paranormal characters, is a wonderful plot that reveals more about alchemy, which was a fabulous addition to this story! I really enjoyed the secrecy and magic that surrounded the plot and unfolds as the story progresses. I found Karen's alchemy to fascinating, unique and creepy all at the same time. I have to say the beautiful cover is the perfect fit for this fantastic story! Normally I don't compare authors in my reviews, but being a huge fan of Cassandra Clare's, I'll say that Karen's writing is one that is similar to Cassie's, as she knows how to create a world and characters that hooked me from the get go, and she gave me just enough information about them and the plot to keep me hooked, but doesn't reveal too much which kept guessing as to what will happen next. I can't wait to read the next book in this series and highly recommend picking up The Iron Witch!

9 comments:

  1. Great review- this is up soon in my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kelsey!

    I think you'll both enjoy this!! It's a fantastic debut release!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, this is the first good review I have seen. I am glad you liked it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen some mixed reviews for this, but I cannot wait to read it. I'm just waiting for it to ship out to me now!

    The world in The Iron Witch sounds very well-crafted, so I look forward to reading it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I just bought this ebook, so good to hear you enjoyed it. Great review, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elie- I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed Karen's writing style. There's a lot of questions she answers and a lot that she leaves out, which I assume will be in the next book.

    Nikki- I really loved her unique world. I compared her to Cassie, as like Cassie, Karen doesn't give too much away and does a crafty job at unraveling her world and plot, little by little.

    Sam- Let us know what you think of it when you're done! I'm looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you girls might like it!!! I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Labels