Mundie Moms

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Book Review- Red Riding Hood


By Sarah Blakely-Cartwright
With an introduction by Catherine Hardwicke
Screenplay by David Leslie Johnson
Book Published by Little Brown
Released on Janruary 25th, 2011
Source- book from Little Brown for review
4 stars- It's a good read

The body of a young girl is discovered in a field of wheat. Her flesh mutilated by telltale claw marks. The Wolf has broken the peace.

When Valerie learns that her sister has been killed by the legendary creature, she finds herself at the center of a dark mystery, one that has plagued her village for generations. It is revealed that the werewolf lives among them, and everyone in the village immediately becomes a suspect. Could her secret love Peter be behind the attacks on her town? Is it her betrothed, Henry? Or someone even closer to her?

As the men in the village hunt for the beast, Valerie turns to her grandmother for help. She gives Valerie a handmade red riding cloak, and guides her through the web of lies and deception that has held her town together for so long. Will Valerie discover the werewolf's identity before the town is ripped apart?

This is a dangerous new vision of a classic fairy tale, the happy ending could be hard to find (quoted from Goodreads).

I enjoy reading a well written re-telling of a classic fairytale, which there's been a few of lately. Little Red Riding is one of them. I liked that the book is based on the movie, which I felt read well. I really liked the twists that were thrown in to this unique spin on Little Red Hiding Hood. I liked that this story isn't one for little kids, as it's darker undertones will be more appealing to teens and adults, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie.

Valerie the main character is someone I admired, as she's drawn to the wolf, despite the fact the wolf has turned her tiny village into a place of mass hysteria and panic from it's recent attacks. Mixed into all this is a love triangle between Valerie, Peter and Henry. Peter is the guy Valerie grew up with, roaming the woods, spending their childhood days together and until Peter leaves town abruptly with his dad one day and doesn't return until 10 years later. Then there's Henry, the mysterious handsome boy who Valerie seems to connect with on a different level. To add to all this is the cunning wolf who Valerie is also drawn to. There's something familiar about it....

With the story being told from the various view points, I was constantly trying to figure out which of the characters could be the wolf. Was it Peter or Henry or could it be someone else. There's an air of mystery surrounding many of the characters and the wolf, and I like that I was drawn into the story by trying to figure out who it could be. The plot twists were great as no one knows for sure who the wolf is, and I really liked that the classic fairy tale details were left in the book with the red cape, Grandma living in the woods alone, Valerie being the smart, fearless maiden and of course an evil intelligent wolf.

I really enjoyed the setting, which is in a mountainous area surrounded by woods, and has a feeling of a mid-century era to it, though the year is never revealed. Then there's the ending, which I enjoyed as I'm left wondering who the wolf is! Knowing there's a movie that will reveal the ending the book doesn't, I like that the book doesn't giveaway any spoilers and I know what I'll be doing on March 11th, 2011! If you're not able to see the movie, be rest assured that Little Brown will reveal the final chapter to Red Riding Hood on March 14th, 2011 @ am EST on www.redridinghoodbook.com. I for one am looking forward to finding out who the wolf is, as I have my suspicions nailed down between two people.

I recommend picking up Red Riding Hood. It's a fun read that offers something to both teen and adult readers. It's definitely not the fairytale I was read when I was a little kid. There's a lot more action in this story and I'm looking forward to seeing that brought to life on the big screen.

9 comments:

  1. This looks really good! And I love the fact that it came out in paperback because it makes it that much more affordable...especially for a movie-to-book adaptation. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I really wanted to read this book, but when I found out the final chapter was going to be available online, it kind of turned me away from wanting to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been considering picking this one up. Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll give it a try once I get to a point where I am done with all the books I currently have to read.

    Andrea @ Reading Lark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie- I think you'll enjoy it! I wish we lived closer so we could go see the movie together.

    Just Your Typical Book Blog- It's still a great read and the ending in the book is good. LB is revealing the final chapter which reveals who the wolf is. I liked that they kept that out of the book, as it would have been a huge spoilers.

    Andrea- Thank you! I think you'll enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds good, but it would really bother me not to be able to read the last chapter at the same time! Maybe I'll buy it after the last chapter is out or something, I have plenty to read in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it and I had mixed feelings (which is why I started looking for
    Reviews on the book and found this dandy site). I didn't like the
    Fact that I was left hanging at the end. Don't get me wrong, its a
    Very good read but you know how after reading.g so many books, you can guess what's going to happen next...not in this lil Suprise read. It makes me want to see the movie, its not like I have to wait for a whole book come out, just a chapter. And if I don't want toward...well see the movie. Great marketing technique. Ok. Sorry for the paragraph- Yolanda D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca and Yolanda- I totally understand. It didn't bother me as much, and I didn't know they had another chapter until after I finished the book. The only thing I felt that wasn't complete was knowing who the wolf is, but I felt it ended in a great place and I would have been happy if that was the actual ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have mixed views on this book. When I read it, I had no idea the film came first, and though I haven't seen the film, it does explain the character jumping and lack of inner diologue.
    Saying that, after a slow start I was hooked ... but the reason I was hooked was because I wanted to know who the wolf was, as I kept changing my mind on who it was (I had to suspects - guess who they were)but my answer never came because apparently, its only avalible on the net. I for one think there should be a warning on the cover, as I was less then impress with THAT twist. I thought they meant that a second book was coming out, not the last chapter!
    But overall, even though it kept me reading and had me at the edge of my seat towards the end, it stared slow and I felt Vivan charcter got lost as her two romances came into play. A good read true, but as I'm a huge reader, the best I can give is an okay. I did LOVE who she choose in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gemma- I've not seen the movie either, but they wrote the book so that fans would read it first and then go watch the movie. She wrote it after the transcript was written, but in the book they left off the last chapter and posted it on their site when the movie was released.

    I agree, I was hooked from wanting to know who the wolf was. I wish they had revealed it in the book too.

    ReplyDelete

Labels