Mundie Moms

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book Review- Steel by Carrie Vaughn

Published by Harper Teen
Released on March 15th, 2011 TODAY
Source- ARC from publisher for review
4.5 stars- It's A Great Read

When Jill finds a rusty sword tip on a Caribbean beach, she is instantly intrigued- and little expects that it will transport her through time to the deck of a pirate ship. Will a dark enchantment, salty kisses and a duel with an evil pirate captain leave her stranded in the eighteenth century forever? (quoted from the back of the ARC).

Talk about an adventure on the high seas! Steel is a fantastic read that not only took me back to the 18th century via a pirate ship, but this is one of the few books I've read involving pirates and I really enjoyed it. It's action packed, pirate talk & rich history made for a fun, engaging read.

Jill, an avid fencer is on a trip with her family to Jamaica when she comes across part of a centuries old pirate sword. The magic from this sword ends up taking Jill on an unforgettable adventure. Knowing she's just falling out of a tour boat during a storm, Jill didn't except to get rescued from pirates aboard the ship Diana. What I loved about Jill's adventure is how authentic the setting, the language and the characters felt. My only compliant would be with Jill, as I felt like I was told more about how she felt and what she was thinking, vs experiencing it with her. For me that made me feel like she was closed off as character, but at the same time I did enjoy getting to experience the adventure with her.

I loved how alive the setting felt. I didn't need the experience of being on a ship at sea to get a vivid picture or a sense of what it's like. Steel's descriptive smells, and sounds made me feel like I was there on the ship. Can I just say GIRL POWER! I loved how Carrie Vaughn brought to life some very strong willed female characters, who have left their mark in what's known a man's world. I loved Diana's captain, Captain Marjory Copper. She not only holds her own, but she's respected among her ship and the other well known historical pirates that Carrie mentions in Steel. Not to mention Jill really over comes her struggles and finally accepts herself for who is she and what she can do.

There's no need to worry if you'll understand the pirate language, as Carrie's hard work and research really shines through Steel's pages. I never once felt like I didn't understand what was being said or going on. I loved the touch Carrie adds to her book with each chapter heading being a word that blends in with the story like En garde, Remise and Touche. The glossary at the end of the book includes the words means/description.

Steel is a fun, entertaining, adventurous read, with a nice romance that doesn't over take the main story. Carrie adds the perfect dose of character chemistry between Jill and Henry. *sigh* Henry. Carrie's writing flows wonderfully, the plot is engaging, the characters are great and world is captivating. Steel is a fantastic story that fans of YA, adventure, strong heroines and pirates would enjoy. Not to mention it's a great historical fiction. YES, I recommend picking up Steel today.

9 comments:

  1. I have to admit, after reading Voices Of Dragons I'm kind of hesitant to pick up another book by this author. But since you gave it such a great review I'll give her another try! Thanks for re-opening my mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather- I really enjoyed it! It's my first Carrie Vaughn book. I'll have to look into Voices of Dragons. I hope you enjoy Steel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I have ever read a pirate book before. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melina- This is a great pirate book. It's a clean cut, fun, girl power packed read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh definitely adding this to my tbr pile. Pirates and YA, that's a bit different. Thanks for the great review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review! I just ordered it on B&N for $9.99!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam- You are so welcome and it's a really great, unique read. It's nice finding a book that doesn't fall into the YA norm.

    Sophie- You will LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am SO excited to read this! It sounds fantastic. Thanks for the intriguing review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smash- You're so welcome! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete

Labels