Mundie Moms

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Book Review- Where The Truth Lies

by Jessica Warman
Published by Walker Books
Released on September 28, 2010
Source: Publisher
3 stars- It's a good read

Synopsis (From Bloomsbury Kids): On the surface, Emily Meckler leads the perfect life. She has three best friends, two loving parents, and the ideal setup at the Connecticut prep school where her father is the headmaster. But Emily also suffers from devastating nightmares about fire and water, and nobody knows why. Then the enigmatic Del Sugar enters her life, and Emily is immediately swept away-but her passionate relationship with Del is just the first of many things that aren't quite what they seem in Emily's life. As the lies she's been told start to unravel, Emily must set out to discover the truth regarding her nightmare; on a journey that will lead her to question everything she thought she knew about love, family, and her own idyllic past.


Where the Truth Lies left me with a few mixed feelings, I enjoyed the story and plot but there were so many times where I got frustrated with the main character. She's what you would call a good girl at the beginning of the novel and I felt bad for her because she seemed to have such a hard time at school and getting good grades because of those horrible nightmares she kept having. You could really feel the pressure she felt struggling with school and trying to be a good example since her father is the headmaster of the elite boarding school she attends. It all rapidly falls apart when a new guy arrives at the school and she immediately falls for him and starts a very intense relationship that quickly changes her life and future.


I though that Emily seemed very naive and easy to convince, she is called naive repeatedly by her friends and parents throughout the book and she denies it but I can honestly say that I agreed with them. She changed almost completely from how she used to be at the beginning and got a little too obsessed with Del and their relationship that she kept ignoring the warnings and advice from her friends and family. I think that was one of the biggest things that kept getting me frustrated about her, she kept making bad choices and acting first instead of thinking things through like her friends kept warning her.

I do have to say that I did love all the twists that the author throws at you, they were definitely unexpected and the main thing that kept me reading, I just had no idea what was going to happen and was constantly getting surprised. The story is much deeper than just the relationship between Del and Emily but also somehow connected. There are lies and secrets about Del and about Emily's past and the truth behind her dreams that keep you wondering and trying to guess through the second half of the novel. You really not able to figure it out until the whole truth comes to light closer to the end and it really does make you gasp and realize that your guesses were way off. By the end Emily had grown and become a little bit wiser but the price she had to pay to get there was very painful and emotional. Where the Truth Lies was a good read with flawed characters, an engrossing plot and shocking twists that will keep you guessing until the end.

2 comments:

  1. I hate when I don't click with the characters, but glad to see the plot was a good one! I think I'll be picking this one up. I love twists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Cynthia! Thank you so much. I know that's frustrating when you don't click with a character, but I'm glad there was a great plot that kept you engaged.

    ReplyDelete

Labels