Mundie Moms

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Twitter Tuesday - Sarah Rees Brennan

I spied a tweet yesterday which mentioned a short story by Sarah Rees Brennan and I had to click over to read it. Had to. Because I love Sarah's writing style and I knew it would be the perfect combination of dark, riveting and unexpected. "Queen of Atlantis" was definitely all that and well, as usual with Sarah, it was more.

Here's the beginning of the story:


Princess Mede knew it as well. She had learned at her old Nurse’s knee to count the seconds of summer as they slipped by, to measure the growing chill in the air until the day arrived when the tide rushed on the shore like an invading army, black as ink and filled with stinking debris. Those who dared go down onto the black and ruined beach reported seeing things as strange and disparate as swathes of rotted silk, dead dogs with bloated bellies and dolls’ heads. The waters brought death to everything they touched.
The princess had to be sacrificed or the tides would keep coming and the harvest would be lost.

Mede was quite looking forward to it. She’d never been sacrificed before.

The poison tides came in one burnt evening in late summer, and everybody knew it was time for the princess to be sacrificed.
See what I mean about Sarah's writing style? It just makes you want to read it all in one sitting. Fortunately for my kids, who were shushed a lot while I was reading it (twice), this is a short story. And reading it makes the wait for the final installment in Sarah's Demon's Lexicon Trilogy a little more maddening.

So who's pre-ordered Demon's Surrender with me? How could I not? It's my lovely, little liar, Alan, on the cover. June 14th cannot come soon enough. In the mean time, read the rest of "Queen of Atlantis" over on Subterranean Press' website.

5 comments:

  1. The short story is amazing! I had to read it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bekah - See?? I'm not the only one to read it several times. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HEART SRB!!! Thank you so much for spotlighting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *grins* I know you love Sarah's writing as much as I do, MMs, and hey, Alan on the cover???? Hot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Nick was on the cover, it would be even better. Ha! :P

    ReplyDelete

Labels