Mundie Moms

Monday, June 27, 2011

Book Review: Fins Are Forever

To Be Released on June 28th, 2011 TOMORROW
Source- ARC from publisher to review
4 stars- I adore this series

On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mergirl, true, but signing the renunciation will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being-human thing once and for all.

Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, the waves start to get rough. Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?

The seafoam on the raging surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up—Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her own dreams?

I really adore this series. Tera's writing makes her books fun, inviting and leaves me wanting more. I really like the series's mermaid mythology and Tera's unique spin with it. I liked how her characters are able to be apart of both the undersea world and the human world. Like many sequels, Fins Are Forever has it's fair share of twists and tough choices that the main character, Lily has to make.

Lily has a lot to deal with. She's not only accepted her fate for wanting to stay on land with Quince, but she has grades to keep up, figuring out what college she wants to go and unexpectedly both her cousin Dosinia and childhood friend Prince Tellin visit her. I liked the twist these two add to the plot. Doe is someone I wanted to despise, but there's just something about her that made me end up liking her. I felt sorry for her and admired her softer side she tries so hard to hide. I'll just say Tellin still has me wondering what his real motives are.

I loved getting to see a lot more of Thalassinia and being able to get more of a glimpse into Lily's royal world. It wasn't hard to envisions Tera's beautifully detailed world, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the mermaid kingdoms that are mentioned in the book. Aside from Quince, I really like Lily's father, the King of Thalassinai. I liked that he really wanted what was best for his daughter and let her make her own choices, which I'm sure we'll see the consequences of in the next book in the series. My favorite is still Quince. He still makes me laugh out loud at his lines and actions.

This is a great sequel, and while I didn't love it as much as the first book in the series, it's still one of those really fun, enjoyable, engaging reads. Mermaid books are a must have for summer time reading and I highly recommend picking up this series! Like Forgive My Fins, Fins Are Forever is a delightful, quick read and the perfect book to add to your summer reading lists. Be sure to go pick this book up when it's out tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! but I am sad to hear it is not as good as the first. but like they say the first book is always the best. its true most of the time.
    great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series. You're really making me want to. I'll have to put it up higher on my list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DaydreamN- I adore this series and I liked the sequel, but I loved the first book. They're both great books to read.

    Natalie- These are a must read this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Labels