Mundie Moms

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Book Review- Vampire Academy

Published by Razorbill
Released on August 16th, 2007
Source- Bought
2.5-3 stars- I'm torn

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school; it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's; the very place where they're most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi; the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires make Lissa one of them forever

This is a series that's been highly recommended to us for awhile now, which is one of the reasons I've been looking forward to reading it. Though it wasn't quite what I was excepting I can definitely see why so many people like it. Rose is a snarky, independent character who is also a bit of broken one and is able to hide that well behind her tough girl attitude. She's also a very loyal friend and body guard to Lissa, the Moroi Vampire Princess. One of the things that makes Rose relatable as a character is her struggles between staying loyal to Lissa and following her heart, but for some reason I just couldn't connect with her character, and I can't pin point why that was. Rose does make a lot of frustrating choices, and she doesn't always think about the consequences of her actions. At the same time she's definitely a fighter. She sticks to what she feels is right, and I admire that about her.

Mixed into Vampire Academy's great setting, and fabulous mythology is a forbidden love story. Even though I didn't really connect with the story like I wanted to, I couldn't get enough of Dimitri and Rose. I loved their chemistry. One of my favorite scenes between the two of them is in the gym when he's training her and she tries to surprise attack him. I'm sure fans know exactly what scene I'm talking about. I really liked Dimitri's character. Like Rose, I wanted to know more about him and uncover the air of mystery that surrounds him for much of the book. I also really enjoyed the lore and history Richelle created with her vampires. Talk about plot and character twists! There's some great twists that I didn't even see coming. I also liked the different abilities/powers some of the characters have and how that wrapped up into the storyline.

In the end I'm really torn about the book. There's a lot of things I both like and didn't like about it. With the little things that bothered me, I don't know if it's because I'm feeling burnt out on vampire books or what it is. Had I picked this book up before the slew of other vampire books I've read I may have liked it better. That's not to say it's horrible book, as it's not. Right now it's just not one that grabbed my attention and made me fall in love it like I was excepting. I'd definitely recommend this series for teens. There's language, the issue of cutting, sexual context, mentions of pot and underage drinking.

20 comments:

  1. I have a problem with this book, one blogger friend really loves it and recommended it to me, however another friend disliked it. I rarely like Vampire books so I can't decide if I should buy it or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand being torn, which is how I felt through much of the book, and I'm a HUGE fan of paranormal reads. I don't know if I'm in a book slump or if I'm burnt out on vampire books right now. I really wanted to like the book more than I did, and I can see why fans love it. In the end it just wasn't a book I could really connect with or fall in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend reading the rest of the books, because the series does get better as it goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please continue reading the series. The first book is just an idea of what will come next. The books keep becoming better and better. I have not read the last one yet because I live in Greece and in Greece it will come out in the end of this month and I can not wait.
    The reason why so many people have recomend this book to you is because the next books are so good i can even describe it. When I finished the first book I was, ok, it is a good book.
    But when I read the second and third book I was like OMG amazing books. If you haven't get spoilered they are many surprises as the series continue.
    JUST KEEP READING!!
    Really nice review though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding? I loved that book. Sure the first one might not be the best but the story just keeps getting better as it unfolds and it gets really emotional in book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of those books that I wish I'd read before the explosion of vampire novels as well. I loved it but I think I would have loved it even more if I had read it before I was burned out on vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the whole series. I have to say I liked the first book.. the end of the second is when I really fell in love with it. After that I was completely hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This series didn't really do it for me either. I read the first few books, but I just wasn't inclined to keep going so I haven't. I know lots of people LOVE this series and I don't really know why I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all your comments and advice to keep reading the series. I've heard a lot of great things about the rest of the books, but this one just didn't hook me. I'll definitely read the next one book in the series. I really wanted to love this book.

    Dawn- I'm left feeling the same way. I know so many people who loved it this book (and the series), but I just haven't gotten hooked yet.

    Heather- I'm glad I'm not the only who feels that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first book does not do this series justice. At all. I've forced so many friends to keep reading, and once they do, they can't stop. They just get a million times better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd have to agree with what everyone else is saying. I honestly wasn't all that impressed with the first book. I think I gave it a 3/5. But the series DOES get better, so YES! You should keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please go on with reading the series. I had the same issues when I read the first one. It wasn`t what I expected at all. A friend told me that I should go on and I am really happy I did. The rest of the series is awesome-especially the third and fourth book in the series. I love love love what happens to Rose and Dimka there are so many things that will be in my all favourites book moments of all times (including jace and clary)- Hope you`ll give it a chance. It`S worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book and The Vampire Academy series, in general. I love Rose and Lissa's characters and the bond they carry between them. The books only get better from here, so do read on :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for all your comments and I'm glad to hear the series gets better with each book. I'll definitely read the rest of the series. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree...keep going. The first book was..soso...the second got better, and the third is one of my all time favorite forbidden love books. You will fall in love with smart mouth Rose Hathaway. Keep going, and let us know how it goes! Her Succubus Blues series, is Adult but witty and not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok so I see you have been attacked by VA fans to continue reading this series. I am a huge VA fan because of various reason. One of the main reasons why I love this book is because of the character development. Richelle Mead is able to show each charcaters growth as the series goes on. You might not have connected with Rose as much but i think if you continue reading it you'll see how strong she really is. i love the kick ass strong females that don't have to wonder "Wow I can't believe he likes me, or wow how amazing that he chose me". I see you enjoed Dimitri and I will tell you that definitely gets better. You continue falling for him even more. I really try and push this series on people because it has everythingI could ever want in a book. A genuine love story that's not (i just met you so now I am so in love with you), great story line that doesn't drag and will keep you full of surprises, and lastly the great writing.Richelle Mead is by far my favorite author. She's very clever, you will find little how she left hints for things to come on the next book. i think that by the time you get to book 3-4 you will have a huge investment in this series, that you might think Rose & Dimitri love story is better than Jace & Clary's. I hope you continue reading this series soon, so it doesn't stay on you to-read pile for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you might even change your blog name to VAMOMS or Dhamphir mom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL- Vamoms! I love it. I really appreciate everyone's comments and you've all convinced me to continue reading the series. I love a series that gets better with each book and has strong kick butt characters. I'm always a sucker for a great love story. I'll be picking up the next book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear you will be continuing the series. It didn't pick up for me until about half way through the 3rd book, but I was glad that I stuck it out until then because it was hard for me to put books 4 through 6 down. Richelle definitely became a better writer as the series went on and now I'm very much looking forward to her new spin-off series with some of the same characters.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved it, but we all have different tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels