Mundie Moms

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Book Review: The Vampire Stalker


Published by Scholastic
Released on June 1st, 2011 TODAY
Source: Book from publisher to review
4 stars- I really enjoyed it

What if the characters in a vampire novel left their world--and came into yours?

Amy is in love with someone who doesn't exist: Alexander Banks, the dashing hero in a popular series of vampire novels. Then one night, Amy meets a boy who bears an eerie resemblance to Alexander. In fact, he IS Alexander, who has escaped from the pages of the book and is in hot pursuit of a wicked vampire named Vigo. Together, Amy and Alexander set out to track Vigo and learn how and why Alexander crossed over. But when she and Alexander begin to fall for each other, Amy wonders if she even wants him to ever return to the realm of fiction.

I was hooked on this story from the moment I met it's main character Amy. Like many of us, Amy has her favorite book series that she obsesses over. When she's not reading the book she hits the forums to talk about her favorite fictional crush, and about what's going to happen in the upcoming release. Not that I could even remotely relate to this *cough, cough* Like any obsessed fan who can't wait to get our hands on the next sequel of our favorite series, Amy and her friends meet up early one morning to pick up the highly anticipated sequel to the series. At this point in the story I'm totally snickering to myself realizing that I'm reading about a teen version of myself and I'm totally loving Amy's story. But, unlike Amy, my fictional crush doesn't appear in real life. Not that I have a fictional crush or anything...

Amy's fictional crush come to life is none other than the angst filled, vampire stalker Alexander Banks from her favorite series, Otherworlds. What I liked about this unique plot was that Alexander is not only from a world of paranormal characters, but he's from a completely different era. Alexander and Amy's worlds collide when Alexander follows the the notorious vampire Vigo through a portal that lands them both in modern day Chicago. Even though Amy is infatuated with Alexander as a character, she has a hard time believing he's really real, even after he saves her after Vigo attacks her.

I really liked that the settings for both worlds is set in Chicago, one in the 1920's and present day. I thought Allison did a fantastic job at explaining how it was possible for a writer's characters and story could come to life. I enjoyed the book despite the few times I felt there were a few things missing in the story. I enjoyed getting to know the characters and I felt Amy was really relatable. Alexander has all the mannerisms I'd except from someone in the 1920's and it was a little comical at how Amy explains technology to him. I liked their sweet romance and the manner in which Alexander treated Amy was what you'd except from his era. I was surprised with how much I enjoyed the story. It's a fun, unique read with a good ending. Amy's voice is witty and charming. I'd recommend this book to both tween and YA readers.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing!! Happy you liked it. Make me want to read it more :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of The Vampire Stalker! Who hasn't dreamed that their favourite characters would come to life? Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That is a brilliant idea for a story. I love the idea and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry Ann- It's a really fun read. I hope you enjoy it :)

    Midnight Bloom- I know! It's such an awesome concept for a story. Thank you for your comment. I hope you enjoy it!

    Natalie- I agree. That's what made me want to read the book. I love this idea for a story. It's a fun read and I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting on this one! It sounds great. Do you know if this is stand alone or the beginning of a new series?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. I like the premise. I might check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wished the would make a movie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Semisweet- I believe it's a stand alone.

    Charlotte- It's so good!

    Anonymous- I do too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've read the book too. he is right about the description. it really is an amazing book. i was hooked i just couldnt put it down at all, literally

    ReplyDelete

Labels