Mundie Moms

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Banned Books Week Day 5: CrANK by Ellen Hopkins


In celebration of Banned Books Week I took the time earlier this week to really look at the list of books that have been banned and compare it to the list of books I've read and see how many of those books I own. I was pleased that I've read a good number from the lists and have a good number on my shelves. There's one book that was listed at #4 on last years 2010 Banned Books List that I hadn't read yet, and I'd been meaning to, CRANK by Ellen Hopkins.

Published by: Simon Pulse
Released on: October 5th, 2004
Source: Bought

Let me start off by saying this is not a book for everyone. This is a raw, edgy, heartbreaking story that follows the life of a good girl who made some wrong choices and in the end not only did it take her down a dark, lonely path, but it also effected her family, and in the end her son. This is a POWERFUL read!

CRANK is a story about drug addiction. Not just any drugs, the hard stuff. The stuff that messes with you and ruins you. In her blunt, truthful story telling, Ellen Hopkins took me down the dark, twisted and messed up path of a girl who lost her way, lost herself, fought hard to win back and in the end lost again. The thing about CRANK, is that it could be written about any girl. She could be the girl next door, the girl who was in all your middle school and high school classes, the active girl, the shy girl.... any girl. She's faceless and familiar all at the same time. She could be any one.

Drug addiction doesn't hold back on who it's grabs a hold of. It's kids who come from strong families, it's kids from the wrong side of the track, it's kids from good christian homes, kids from non religious homes, kids who get good goods, and kids who could case less about school. I never did drugs, but after reading CRANK I can see how this book would connect with kids who have thought about doing them, who do them and who want to over come the urge to do them. I know why Ellen wrote this story, and I've personally listened to her read letters from kids who's lives were saved because Ellen wasn't afraid to write a story like this, one that depicts reality for some kids, and a possibility of reality for others.

I can see why some parents wouldn't want their kids reading this book, but to BAN this is appalling to me! Banning this book doesn't take away drug addictions in teens. It doesn't make teens want to stop having sex, both of which happen in this book. This book doesn't make me want to go out and start using CRANK. It doesn't make me want to go get high. If anything, this book is one that allows me as the reader to get an inside view of what hell is like for a good girl who made a bad choice and in the end that choice cost her. I'll be really honest, if someone close to me was in a similar situation, I'd hand them this book.

This book is a honest look inside the life of someone who lost themselves to CRANK and in the end tried to fight against the monster that over took her life. This book is blunt. There's drugs, sex and language in this book, and it's not one that's suitable for all readers.


Here's my BANNED BOOKS WEEK CHALLENGE- Pick up a BANNED BOOK that you've been wanting to read or one that's been sitting on your shelf this week. Read it and share your thoughts on it. Celebrate The Freedom to Read!

5 comments:

  1. I think this is a great novel for young teens to read- it does not glorify the drug use and there are consequences for the characters actions. I've never done drugs either (big thanks to my Dad for making me read Go Ask Alice while I was still in grade school), but it's books like Crank that show the real underbelly of drug use. I just wish more parents would read this with their teens and talk to them about it, because you're right- this could be any girl, anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment Kate! I'm with you. More parents need to read books like this and talk to their kids about drugs. These type of books are the ones that will give readers a harsh dose of reality of drug use, because it doesn't glorify it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest daughter, who is a freshman in college, went to an arts high school. I was the library mom, and I always volunteered for banned books week. We had a theme every year, and we decorated and had fun activities for the students everyday. This post kind of makes me sad because I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ricki- I love that you did that!! What a wonderful experience to have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the fact that my library dedicated an entire shelf to books that have been banned! at this moment, i'm reading George Orwell's 1984.

    ReplyDelete

Labels