Mundie Moms

Monday, December 12, 2011

Book Review: EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton


To Be Released on: January 24th, 2012
Source: ARC from publisher to review
4.5 stars: I Really Enjoyed
Pre-Order from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's.... quoted from Goodreads

EVERNEATH is just as intriguing as it is addicting! Brodi Ashton puts a fabulous, modern spin on Greek Mythology, introduces characters who are flawed, and yet easy to identify with, and gave me a story I couldn't stop reading. There's something about not understanding every little thing that was happening in the story that made it nearly impossible for me to put it down. I had questions and I wanted answered. I enjoyed the well written mythology, the slight air of mystery that surrounded each character and I loved the romance. This romance wasn't about make out sessions or you know other things. I mean there is great chemistry and kissy scenes, but it was about really being in love, the sacrifice that comes from that, and the powerful pull it has on the person who's in love. It's the kind of love that helps someone escape from the EVERNEATH aka The Under World or as some would it call it, Hell.

Nikki also known as Becks to those closest to her is a character I enjoyed getting to know, even though there were times she irritated me. I admired her for returning to the Surface from spending what seemed like an eternity in the underworld (which was only 6 months in the human world), and tries undo the things that happened when she went to the underworld, not fully understanding the risks. I liked that her return mirrored what it would be like for someone who all the sudden vanished and then just as suddenly came home. It's far from easy, but her alternative is just as hard. Lives have been broken, faith shattered, trust and friendships broken, and for some life has moved on while for others it changed them. This is the part of the story that I was able to connect with emotionally. I understand Nikki's actions, and I understood why her family, her old boy friend and friends acted the way they did at first.

I liked that each of the characters through out the story were flawed and all relatable. Each one was broken in a different way, that made it easy to sympathize with them to a degree, including the smoldering, immortal Cole, who won't stop until he gets Nikki back. Brodi wrote her story in a way that was easy for me to understand Nikki's actions and her reasons for them, as well as Jack's and Cole's. I was surprised that I was able to understand Cole's motives, which made it hard to fault him of his wrong doings. Talk about an immortal who won't give up and a true love that won't let anything tear them apart. *sigh* I adore jack and all that he does for Nikki. Can Brodi rip my heart out any more for Jack, Nikki and Cole? It's not just these characters who I felt an attachment to. There are a few secondary characters who surprisingly ended up playing bigger roles in the story itself.

Brodi's writing is truly unique, because Nikki's story is not written in chronological order of the events that happen in her life. I loved it! It really kept the story going and allowed me to understand part of the back story while the story continued to progress forward. If you're worried that this will be hard to follow along, trust me, it's not. Each chapter is titled with a time frame (for a reason). The back story are Nikki's memories, which were a fascinating addition to her story, because they explained why Nikki made the choices she did that lead to her fall and her to the EVERNEATH. They're also her reason for returning and fighting against having to go back.

If you're looking for a new book to pick up at the beginning of next year or gift to pre-order this Christmas/Holiday season, I'd highly recommend this book! It's a clean cut, exciting that will leave you wishing it's sequel was already out.

Unrelated to my review, I love this cover! It's so fitting for the story.


9 comments:

  1. OMG I loved this book! You are right, it's cool how the story is not in chronological order. I love when a book has a surprise like that. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I'm waiting for this book to come out. Greek mythology retellings always get me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for this one. I mean . . . talk about a beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melina- Ohhh we need to discuss this book together! Thank you so much for your comment :)

    Liyana- This one has one of the best re-tellings. I hope you enjoy it.

    Little_Dhampir91- I know! Isn't that cover beautiful? I love that they didn't show a face and the colors are striking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! I'm so glad you loved it too!! This book was so fascinating! I loved the world building and how multi demensional the characters were!!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeek this sounds so awesome I can't wait to read it I love well developed and realistic characters that actually have flaws and the way it's written seems very original I'm completely intrigued!! Great review!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andye- YAY! I'm so glad you loved it too! I agree, I was so intrigued by Brodi's world building and I loved the characters. I can't wait to read your review.

    Giselle- Thank you so much! I think you'll really enjoy this book! The characters are so flawed and so well developed. They're great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds fantastic, great review! 2012 can't come fast enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking this one will make my next list of ARCs to get read immediately. I'm glad to see it was so well done and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Labels