Mundie Moms

Friday, January 27, 2012

ALA Mid Winter 2012 Re-Cap

Warning, this post will be a little long, but there's so much to talk about from ALA! This past weekend was such a blast! This was my first time attending ALA, and I hope I'll be able to attend a few more. ALA weekend involved a lot of laughs, tons of book talk, getting to meet some awesome people and really just a lot of fun.

My weekend was complete when I FINALLY got to meet two of my favorite people that I've talked with for the past couple of years- Chrissy Noh and Carolyn with Simon & Schuster!!!! I won't even mention all the fan girliness (I'm not sure if that's even a word) that took place at the S&S booth. I seriously love these two and it was so wonderful to finally talk to them and meet them in person.


I might have also gone a little fan girly on Katherine Tegen, from Katherine Tegen Books. It was such a pleasure to meet her. The sign I'm holding is a joke that author Bettina Restrepo made, because a group of us where totally blown away that we got to meet the person behind Katherine Tegen books, which is an imprint of Harper Teen. She is so lovely.


Another highlight from this weekend was having lunch and meeting Kellie with Walden Pond Press. I adore her and it was so wonderful to finally meet her in person and have lunch together!


Aside from my high lights above, it was so much fun being able to meet and hang out with fellow bloggers.

The weekend kicked off with a big dinner with over 70 bloggers, authors and publishers getting together. Jen w/ I Read Banned Books did an awesome job with putting this together.

Below is: YA Bliss, Stacy w/ Girls in the Stacks, Jen w/ Book & A Latte , Amy & Andye with Reading Teen, Nancy w/ Girls in the Stacks, myself, Yara w/ Once Upon a Twilight.


I had so much fun! It was the best of both worlds getting to hang out with friends all weekend and doing book related stuff.


The best part of the whole night involves my EMBARRASSING moment! So... I thought I was standing behind a friend of mine (this is someone I've known for a few years), keep in mind the place is dimly lit and extremely crowded. I hadn't seen her in awhile so I jokingly hit her on the butt, um yeah, that was NOT my said friend. *go ahead and I laugh, because I about died*. Luckily Megan, my new friend (pictured above) has a great sense of humor, because we're both still laughing about it. The best part of my embarrassing moment, I now have a new friend. I'm still mortified I even did that....

Left to Right: Myself, Amy & Andye from Reading Teen, Yara from Once Upon a Twilight & Nancy from Girls in the Stacks. No, we weren't just acting like 12 yr old girls right before the picture was taken....

Pictured below: Includes the same group of girls, along with Stacy from Girls in the Stacks & Jen from.
I seriously LOVE these girls! It was so much fun being able to finally hang out together. They made the weekend unforgettable!


There's a quite a few bloggers I loved getting to meet whom I've talked with a lot on twitter, blogger and facebook. My only regret is I didn't get a picture with all of them. *waves to you guys* Some of my fav were meeting Melina from Reading Vacation & HD from Reading, Writing & Breathing, Hafash from IceyBooks, and Katie (the other Katieb) from Katie's Book Blog. Stacy & I got a picture w/ HD-


You are NEVER TOO OLD for the Muppets! Girls in the Stacks, Jen w/ Book & A Latte, myself & Ginger w/ GReads


This weekend ended with a fun girls night w/ Girls in the Stacks, Reading Teen, Book & A Latte & Kelsey w/ Reading or Breathing. THANK YOU to Stacy for a great weekend!!

Me w/ Amy & Andye from Reading Teen @ Stacy's house

Honestly, this weekend was such a blast! It was like a never ending girls night complete with meeting new friends, talking with publisher friends, attending publisher events and getting to talk about books. Thank you to everyone who made this an unforgettable weekend!

** I do have some things to giveaway from ALA, some things I've donated to a book drive I'm c0-hosting and the others will be featured in Mundie Moms Birthday Bash next month! I'll give you a teaser, there will be an ARC of Destined by Aprilynne Pike, an ARC of Fracture, and an ARC of BLACK HEART by Holly Black!!

36 comments:

  1. The memories, the memories...they're flooding back, ahhhh!!!!

    Good times, we need to make this a yearly event! But you forgot to mention the best BOOK part - BITTERBLUE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of good times! I wasn't there for BITTERBLUE... :(

      Delete
  2. Oh, and after looking at all the pics of me I learned that I require good lighting. I may have to start carrying a portable flash with me at all times,lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever... I need a lighting that sheds off a few pounds LOL

      Delete
  3. I love re-living this weekend through all the recap posts! Katie, I loved meeting you and I'm so glad we both stayed with Stacy so we were able to hang out more. ALAMW weekend was a BLAST, and I can't wait for the next event! (((hugs)))
    ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte - 2012 YA Audiobook Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JEN!!! I MISS YOU! It was so much fun staying together w/ Stacy. I love reading all the posts. It was such a fabulous weekend and I can't wait to meet up again.

      Delete
  4. Such awesome pics! I was there and wish I'd had a chance to meet you. Are you going to TLA or RT by any chance? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I wish I could have met you as well, YES! I"m going to TLA, I look for you there :)

      Delete
  5. Despite how jealous I get from looking at everyone's ALA pictures, it looks like everyone had SO MUCH FUN!!!! I love how excited everyone looks in all the pictures!!!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast!! I highly recommend trying to attend one if you can.

      Delete
  6. I'm ready to go back!!! So much fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had an awesome time!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing pictures of everyone! I'm bummed I missed it since I live near Dallas, but I went out of town for a funeral. Next year I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Katie it was SO good to see you again!!! I just wish we had gotten more time to hang out. I guess that means we need to plan to attend another book event VERY SOON! Thank you again for what you did for me at S&S.. seriously made my weekend! I owe you! I am still laughing at how you met Magan though, hahaha.. that was too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GINGER!! It was so wonderful to see you again! YES, next time we'll definitely have to hang out more. I'm thinking for TLA or the Teen Book Con in Houston. You are so welcome! That was totally perfect timing and I'm so glad it worked out perfectly :) I'll never forget the way I met Megan. HAHAHA

      Delete
  10. LOVE the "she does exist sign" :)

    I'm so upset I wasn't able to make it! :( But I'm happy everyone else had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you guys!!!

      Katherine was fabulous! That sign was hilarious. I can't wait to meet you at one of the other upcoming book events.

      Delete
  11. I just love all these pictures people are posting! It's so much fun to see so many familiar names (I don't know many faces! - But now I do!) hanging out together. And yeah...Bett's a sneaky one...and always hilarious! :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome!! I can't wait for you to come out to TX!!!

      Delete
  12. Yay ALA! I'm hoping I'll get to meet lots of people next year when it's in Seattle. I'm SO beyond excited to finally be able to go to a bookish event :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously want to try to make the Seattle event!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for helping me and making a bad time a fun time. love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yara- You are so welcome!! I'm so glad I got to hang out with you this past weekend. Love ya too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such great photos! Everyone looks like they are having a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe I got so messed up and thought you couldn't go to ALA if you were a blogger. I found out about it last year and wanted to go. Bummer. Maybe I can join the party with you all next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think you could either until a huge group of blogger friends went this summer. It's a great convention.

      Delete
  17. Hey best butt slapper... ever. I loved that we met, even though it was the most unique "hello" I've ever been the recipient of. :) You are so sweet and so much fun. I'm so glad that we were able to meet. I hope that since we're in almost the same city we'll be able to connect for a good cup of coffee or lunch. None of my closest friends are book nerds like me, so I look forward to maybe geeking out with you a little bit. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Magan- ROTFL! That's a moment I won't soon forget! YES! We'll definitely have to get together for lunch! Despite meeting with a good ole butt slap, I'm glad we met!! I can't wait to get together with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol, Katie, you did that? #ReasonsWhyWeLoveYou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle- Yes, totally embarrassing moment. LOL

      Delete

Labels