Mundie Moms

Friday, February 3, 2012

Flashback Friday: Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

Flashback Friday is a meme I started last year here on the blog for the sole purpose of spotlighting books that have been sitting on my shelf to read for awhile. This will include titles released the previous year and ones that have been out for a few years. Today's feature is Cate Tiernan's Immortal Beloved.


Published by: Little Brown
Released on: September 7th, 2010
Source: Book from publisher to review
Star Rating: It wasn't my cup of tea
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Nastasya has spent the last century living as a spoiled, drugged-out party girl. She feels nothing and cares for no one. But when she witnesses her best friend, a Dark Immortal, torture a human, she realizes something's got to change. She seeks refuge at a rehab for wayward immortals, where she meets the gorgeous, undeniably sexy Reyn, who seems inexplicably linked to her past.

Nastasya finally begins to deal with life, and even feels safe--until the night she learns that someone wants her dead.Cate Tiernan, author of the popular Sweep series, returns with an engaging story of a timeless struggle and inescapable romance, the first book in a stunning new fantasy trilogy -quoted from Goodreads

I'm a little torn on my thoughts with this book, partly because, it took me much longer than I had hoped to get into this book. I found the beginning of the book to unenjoyable due to the fact I felt the main character, Nastasya who's been around for well over 400 yrs acted like a selfish, self centered teen. I couldn't get over the fact someone who's immortal and lives for centuries would act the way she does. She pays little regard to what's going on around, parties way too much and it's not until something happens does she finally start to get a tiny bit of a conscience.

It's during her time at River's Edge that I found the story picked up a little bit more. I really liked Cate's unique paranormal mythology and the history she gives her characters. Still, no matter how hard I tried to get into the story, I still felt something was missing from it for me, and I can't pin point exactly what it is. One of the things I did love is the Viking lore... aka Thor. I'm a sucker for a well developed lore/mythology and Cate has that in this series. Still, try as hard as I might I could not connect with Nastasya, at all. For me connecting with the book's main character really makes or breaks the book for me. Toward's end of the book I felt like I was finally able to understood her inner battle with herself a bit more, but she still came across as extremely immature to me.

Though this book wasn't my cup of tea, I think this one paranormal fans will enjoy. I am looking forward to reading Darkness Falls. I know that might seem silly to want to read a sequel to a book I didn't enjoy like I hoped to, but I'm hoping there's something in this story that I will pull me in. I'm hoping Nastasya character wise grows up a bit more, which I think she will giving the ending. Plus I want to read more about the Viking lore. There are some partying scenes, and mild language in the book.

2 comments:

  1. I've been hearing about this series a lot and i'm getting curious about it. I'm a paranormal fan but getting tired of the same old plot. I may still give this a try eventually.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing a lot of mixed things with this series, but what didn't work for me in the first book, worked great in the second book. My review for book 2 will be up later today, and I liked it a lot better.

      Delete

Labels