Mundie Moms

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

TeenQuake Lit Olympics

Saturday was a gorgeous day in San Francisco and I was very excited to participate in LitQuake's TeenQuake Lit Olympics. Nancy (from Tales of the Ravenous Reader) and I got to provide the commentary as Team Geek (Malinda Lo, C J Omololu and Cory Jackson) and Team Fearless Phrasers (Tamara Ireland Stone, Ingrid Paulson and Daisy Whitney)  read their prepared stories from three prompts given out by Chris Angotti (Director of Young Writers Program for NaNoWriMo) and Summers Laurie (Books Inc.)

The Fearless Phrasers: Ingrid Paulson (Valkyrie Rising), Tamara Ireland Stone (Time Between Us) and Daisy Whitney (The Mockingbirds and The Rivals).
Nancy (Ravenous Reader), the two teen gold medal winners and me.

First let me say that the authors all came through with wonderful short stories. And the gold medal winning teens? You guys will have to watch out for them in the future. Unbelievably sweet and touching tales. The teens were instructed to write a letter to their future selves twenty years form now. Oh, I could so relate to those letters.
Team Geek is on the left and The Fearless Phrasers are on the right. Summer Laurie (Books Inc) is at the podium.

 
I'm happy to say that Fearless Phrasers (my team) managed to tie it up in the final rounds (yes, the audience got to vote on which story they thought was the best) and we lost in the tie-breaker but man oh man, was it ever close.


Author Signing: Malinda Lo (Adaptation, Ash, Huntress), Tamara Ireland Stone, Ingrid Paulson, Cory Jackson (If I Lie, Touched), C J Omololu (Transcendence, Dirty Little Secrets), Daisy Whitney
The event ended with an author signing. How do you guys like Z Space? It's a theater and a gallery. It makes me miss living in the Bay Area.

Malinda Lo, Tamara Ireland Stone, Ingrid Paulson, Chris Angotti (Young Writers Program Director, NaNoWriMo), Cory Jackson, C J Omololu, Daisy Whitney.
 
For those of you who didn't have to drive back home to another state like I did, hey, today Tamara Ireland Stone and Ingrid Paulson have a wonderful "dual launchiness" party hosted by Not Your Mothers Book Club at Books, Inc. at 7 p.m. at their Castro St. location. Even though, I can't be there, I'm running over to my book store today to pick up Tamara's Time Between Us and Ingrid's Valkyrie Rising. And next year, perhaps I'll try NaNoWriMo. I'm still a-buzz from those wonderful stories everyone read.

10 comments:

  1. HOW FUN Sophie!!! I am so glad you got to go! What a great line up of authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's all thanks to you and this great site of yours, Katie! Thank YOU!

      Delete
  2. I had such a great time - so fun to meet you and the son! I gave him extra points for holding up the blue card on his iPad. Even tho it was the wrong color - go TEAM RED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ - SO fun meeting you. As for the Boy Child, now that he's officially a teen, he's turned into quite a sweet kid. In spite of his fierce allegience to his mother's team. ;) LOL. After hearing your stories, he said he just may enter the contest next year.

      Delete
  3. Big smoochies and hugs to all the awesome people involved in this amazing project. I could not have asked for better team mates and my co-host commentator Sophie is always a pleasur to see. I hope to come back next year. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My darling RR! You were the best sparring partner I could imagine! I'd love a re-match next year if I'm given the opportunity!!! Team Blue will bring it for sure!! :)))

      Delete
  4. You're amazing Sophie!! That was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy - My girls saw your outfit and imediately wanted to meet you! After hearing your story, I am dying to read The Mockingbirds/The Rivals! Thank you so much for being on Team Blue.

      Delete

Labels