Mundie Moms

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski



Released on: October 16th, 2013 TODAY
Purchase from: MacMillanAmazon | Barnes & Noble 
Source: ARC from publisher to review
4.5 Stars: I Really Enjoyed It!

Darcy Jones doesn’t remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. So she isn’t surprised that she doesn’t recognize Conn, the new boy at her high school, even though he seems to know her—or at least know something about her.
What does surprise her is how quickly she comes to trust Conn, and that he makes her feel both desire and desired in a way she hadn’t thought possible. But his interest in her is confusing. It doesn’t line up with the way he first looked at her.

As if she was his enemy.

When Conn betrays Darcy and she is arrested, she realizes that she can’t rely on anything—not Conn, not herself, and not even the laws of nature. Because this world isn’t the only one. Darcy belongs in an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire never happened, and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Darcy needs some answers.

And she hates that the person most able to help her get them is Conn. -quoted from the publisher

What an awesome read! I love it when I sit down to read a book and become enthralled with it's detailed setting, and utterly original storyline. The Shadow Society was just that for me. I found the concept behind this story completely appealing, and I was impressed that Marie created a story based on someone's shadow. Not only is this something I've not read about before, but her story telling was so engaging that I read this book in one sitting. I couldn't but this book down. I had to know more. I wanted to know more about the characters, and their world or should I say the two worlds that exist in this story. 

There's plenty of mystery and some fabulous twists that Marie throws into her story. Those twists are fabulous! I love it when an author makes me think one thing, and than wham, something happens and a shocking twist is revealed. One of the things I've had a hard time with, with reading lately is there have been a recent string of books I've grown bored with, because their storyline's are so predictable (no these aren't books I've reviewed on the blog). I didn't feel like The Shadow Society was predictable in anyway at all. Even the beginning when I might have cringed a little bit with the generic boy meets girl, and boy and girl have this immediate attraction turned out to be something entirely different than I first thought. Let me just say I didn't see that one twist coming, at all. I had suspicions, but didn't think that was going to happen.

I really enjoyed the way Darcy, our main character, and Conn, the love interest's relationship was developed. It goes from hot to cold quickly and as I mentioned above, that twist is fabulous! It's that twist that leads to a whole new set of twists, hidden agendas, lies and secrets. The story is seriously one fast paced, action packed read with an exciting plot line. I felt like the story got better and better as it went on. The other element I loved, was of course the forbidden love in this story. It's one that is exciting, scary, and changes the way both characters view the worlds around them, and what one of them stands for. I liked that this love challenged the characters, made them think, take action, and change for the better. 

If you're looking for something engaging, highly entertaining, and a read that's unlike ones you've recently read, I'd highly recommend picking up this book! You can find out more about Marie's The Shadow Society by reading my interview with her here.

2 comments:

  1. Fab review! I really enjoyed this book too and its unique concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. I loved the concept of it.

      Delete

Labels