Mundie Moms

Monday, February 18, 2013

Book Review: Mind Games by Kiersten White


By: Kiersten White
Published by: Harper Teen (Epic Reads)
To Be Released on: 2/19/13
Source: arc from publisher to review
Series: Mind Games #1
4 Stars: I Enjoyed It!
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Read the 1st Five Chapters here

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways… or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost -quoted from Goodreads


Mind Games is a thrilling, fun, and incredibly fast read. It's a book I read over the course of a couple hours and enjoyed every moment of it. Aside from the mind games that are being played through out this story, I seriously enjoyed being able to just sit down and read this book. It's complex without being complex, if that makes sense. It's one of those books that's witty and just plain fun to read. It has the same snark I've come to love most about Kiersten's books. 

Mind Games's slightly darker tone made for a twisted, troubled world where gifted young girls are forced to live at a school that specializes in their extraordinary powers. That's where sisters Annie and Fia are now living, and are ultimately being forced to do things they don't want to do, or are doing now. Much like Evie from the Paranromalcy series had, Mind Games's main character Fia is one sarcastic character I enjoyed getting to know. Unlike Evie, Fia is one of the angriest characters I truly enjoyed reading about. In her own unique way, Fia's anger is what made me want to read about her more. Her anger is justified, and in part it's also what makes her have a sharper tongue and motivates her ability to kick some butt. It's her reason for anger and what drives her to do what she does, that I understood the most. 

I liked that this present day story has alternating chapters that give us a brief history about the sisters, and how they came to the school, and became entangled in this web of danger. Getting to understand the sisters and their motivates more is heartbreaking, though I suspect there's a lot more to come from their relationship, especially given all that happens towards the end of the book. I loved that not everything is as it appears in this story. Though this is a quick and easy read, it's a storyline that's layered with deceit and twists, and lives up to it's namesake. Not only do various characters mess with each others's minds with the games they're all playing against each other, it's a storyline that messes with the readers minds as well. 

Though some things were easy to pick up on, over all there are some shocking twists I never saw coming. All I can say is this book ended a little too quickly, and I'm hoping I don't have to wait long for more. In true Kiersten fashion, there is a complicated relationship that is hard to decipher if it's one based on deceit or one that will grow into something else. Either way, I'm anxious to learn a lot more about James. I think Kiersten White fans are really going to enjoy Mind Games. Sure it's no Evie story, but I think fans will enjoy reading about Fia just as much they enjoyed Evie. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. This sounds really different than the Paranormalcy books. I'm anxious to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It is different, but I love that her character has that snark I loved in the Paranormalcy series. I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete

Labels