Mundie Moms

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Twitter Tuesday - Carrie Jones and the Boston Marathon

 

I grew up in the Boston area and went to high school there. I consider it my hometown. Watching the events unfold yesterday brought back an emotion that was stronger than I ever expected. I was on twitter and facebook checking up on my friends who marched with the Minutemen that day and my friends that I thought may be running in the marathon. For those of you who don't know, Patriot's Day in Boston is a Big Deal. It's a celebration. Schools and business take the day off. It's Springtime and the weather usually cooperates so everyone tends to be outside after a long winter.

While I was on twitter, I came across Carrie Jones (author of the Need series) post. She was there and she wrote such a moving post that I want to share it with you guys here. This is the beginning of it and you can read the rest on her blog.
So, I was at the Boston Marathon today to take pictures of my friend, Lori, running and then crossing the finish line. Before the marathon I had lunch with my daughter Em. She was nervous.

“I have a bad feeling,” she said. “You need to be careful.”
“You have no faith in me. I am a perfectly capable person.”
“I just am worried.”
“I will be fine,” I told her.

But I did several things that I don’t normally do. I didn’t take the T. I chose to walk from Cambridge to mile 25.5 of the race route. I figured out the T route and everything, but I just didn’t want to go on it. Walking was healthier, I figured. I was going to watch a marathon. Healthy seemed a good idea.
I know that Boston will come back from this and I know that the marathon tradition will continue from year to year. I'm touched by the response of so many people wanting to help and the outpouring of love for everyone who was hurt or lost loved ones. If you'd like to help, the Red Cross is always a good place to start.

In the mean time, let's be patient with one another and remember to be kind. Everyone processes these tragedies in their own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels