Mundie Moms

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Fansite Exclusive: Jemima West Talks Playing Isabelle Lightwood in the The Mortal Instruments

Clary Fray is great, but the Ultimate Shadowhunter can be argued as Isabelle Lightwood. We, along with other fansites, had the pleasure of sitting down today to talk with Jemima West who happens to be one of the kindest and most humble people we have met. She talked about everything. Nothing was off limits. You can read the first part of her interview on Fangirlish.com, and the second part on TMISource.com
. We have the pleasure of bringing you the third.
Q: If you were to sell this movie to someone who didn’t know anything about it, how would you sell it to them?

J: I would sell it to them saying go and see it. It’s full of, how can I say it – there is lots of action. Lots of proper acting, and when I talk about proper acting I think of Lily and Jamie who have done an amazing job with lots of different things. It’s a really exciting, action packed, intensely acted film. It’s got everything someone wants to see in a film. It’s got emotion, it’s got action, it’s got excitement. It’s got fun comedy. Great astehetics and a really cool edginess to it. How did the others sell it? Cause there is so much to say about it?

Q: Lily in thigh high boots, I think that was one of the other responses.

J: That’s a good answer. Lily in boots. So much easier. I should have thought about that.

Q: Isabelle has the best sense of style ever and I’m totally obsessed with her outfits in the entire movie. How would you describe your personal style?

J: Um, to be honest, when I was filming in Toronto I went to an Urban Outfitters and bought of pair of leather leggings, so she inspired my own style at the time! I’d say I’m slightly more casual than she is. I wear flat shoes and I love to wear skinny pants and thick jumpers and I’m slightly more boring actually.

Q: Isabelle is obviously a very strong and powerful character how did you prepare to jump into that role? Did you listen to a certain kind of music? Was dying your hair helpful?

J:Yeah, I mean as I’ve said already when you work on a role all the stuff you do personally as preparing and thinking of your character and then you get to meet all the creative team and the hair dresser and the make up artist and the costume designer and all of that together gives you an idea and really all of a sudden you’ve got your hair dyed black and your leather on and your high boots and you think I, okay, this helps so much in building and giving the final touch to the character and you know it’s truly inspiring what everyone else will bring to your character and um, how they inspired me as well.

Q:Who is your acting role model? What actor do you draw inspiration from?

A: Um, I love, there are very few females actress I am really crazy about but I’d say Cate Blanchett is definitely my number one just because she goes from one role to the next and she goes from completely different characters every time, always making really risky choices and that’s what I admire about her. And she’s just a stunningly beautiful, talented actress and I’m very, very fond of actors like Daniel Day Lewis as well.

Q: One more question for you! Someone had asked Lily this at one of the mall tours and I just loved it – if you could play anybody else in The Mortal Instruments movies who would you want to play?

J: Hmm (she laughs) Who would I play? I’d probably play..I don’t know sometimes I think one of the boys?

Q: Yeah, Lily had chosen Magnus so if you want to pick one of the boys..

J:Yeah, Magnus! Magnus is quite cool because he gets to wear his underwear and have really cool parties. And he’s pretty casual. Maybe I’d play Robbie’s role maybe, Simon, because he gets to be a vampire and that’s pretty cool.

Q: Yeah, definitely.

J: There are lots of characters, or one of the faeries!

Q:Isabelle in the books is described as the ultimate shadow hunter by Jace and she definitely proves herself in the film. Have you learned anything from Isabelle playing this role?

J: How to fight. Seriously, I have learned how tiring it is for Shadowhunters.

Q: Aside from that, as an actress, I realize that this is a bit of a stretch for you from anything you have played in the past, has there been anything that you have discovered about yourself that you probably didn’t know before playing this role?

J: That I could use a flamethrower for example. To be honest with you it was all the action that really did have a huge influence on me, the physical aspect of the film was very new to me and very challenging to me, and very exciting. It’s so great when you start working on the role, there is lots of new stuff to learn and that was a huge part of The Mortal Instruments Experience for me.

Q: If you were a Downworlder, or had the choice to be a Downworlder of any sort or a Shadowhunter, which would you be and why?

J: Well it’s sort of like the question which character would I play. I like the fact that Simon is a vampire and he can still be out and about because he has Shadowhunter blood. So would I be a vampire like Simon or would I be a fairy? Shadowhunters are quite cool, but they have huge responsibilities.

Q:Have you read the books and did you see the film?

J: Ya, to be honest with you, I am in the middle of book number five when I left set. I had plans to finish it and will finish it before I return to film the second. It’s great. There is so much to look forward to and I can’t wait to start working again. I hope we can do as many as possible.

Q: You guys were decked out in runes and that’s a big part of being a Shadowhunter. What is your favorite rune and why?

J: I am going to be quite boring, I think I like the angelic rune, because it’s symbolic of who they are. They are all really cool and all have so many powers. And I love the fact that you can draw your own rune and Clary is so lucky she can create a rune and give them to everyone. It would be so cool if you could do that. Oooh I have sight. Ooh I’m invisible. It would be great. There’s so many to choose from there just all so awesome but I have to say Isabelle is definitely my favorite! She’s the one I would want.

Q: Yeah, I’ve got to go with Isabelle, to be honest.

J: She’s the one that kicks the most butt and doesn’t mess around with anyone, I love that. (She laughs again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels