Mundie Moms

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Our Top Ten Books of 2013

WOW! 2013 was also an incredible year for book releases. There were so many amazing books out this year. Sadly we also said good bye to quite a few of our favorite series. We also got to fall in love with a few new series. For the first time since I started Mundie Moms, I failed to read 200 -300 + books. *gasp* This year has been a crazy insane year for me, not just with all the traveling, and the TMI movie premiere, but there's been ups and downs with things in my personal life, and sadly reading took a back seat. But, don't worry, next year will be a stellar reading year. I know for myself (Katie), Sophie, Shandra and Emm, we're all really excited over the 2014 releases. Not only that, the fabulous 2013 releases we didn't get to read yet will also be featured on the blog this next year.

Normally this is the time of year Sophie and I collectively get together and create a variety of lists so that we can feature each of our favorite books. We all know we have way more than ten favorite reads this year. As some of you know I had to have a full hysterectomy done at the beginning of December, and recovery has been really rough, so our lists, and sadly the blog has some what been put on hold, BUT, that isn't stopping us from listing our favorite reads YA reads from 2013.

So without further pause, here are our 2013 Top Ten Books, which we can honestly say were extremely hard to narrow down (check out our other favorites from 2013 here):



With each passing year that we make our favorite lists, I find it's getting harder to narrow the choices down. There are so many fabulous books I've read this year, and even though not all of them are featured here on the list, they are still books I loved reading (you can find my list of reads this year by following me on Goodreads). Similar to last year, this year's list was dominated by fantasy/urban fantasy reads. I know my number one pick won't come as a surprise to many of you, Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare was my all time favorite read of this year. One word.... WILL! Okay Tessa too. haha This year I also read more contemporaries, which I'm starting to love. For the first time since starting MM's, I read less paranormal, which is shocking, considering how much I love my paranormal. Now that you've seen my top 13 picks for 2013, I'd love to know what some of your top picks were for this year.



















The obvious number one had to be Cassie's Clockwork Princess, but a very, very close second was Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. In fact, I maybe in love with a certain vampire (yes again, but for real this time, I swear. :)  ). I (goodreads link) couldn't resist adding both of Ally Carter's releases this year -- the final Gallagher Girls book, United We Spy (Cammie! Zach! Mr. Solomon!) as well as the perfectly told, Perfect Scoundrels (Hale and Kat's stories always pull me in). I included a new-to-me-author, Zoe Marriott, and her gorgeous urban fantasy, The Night Itself as well as Julie Cross' (author of the Tempest series) contemporary love story (about a competitive Olympic gymnast and how she faced her worst fears after a devastating tragedy), Letters to Nowhere.



My top ten includes a few books that came out the previous year. Regardless of release date, I felt that these ten books represented my top reads for 2013 (follow me on goodreads).



There's quite a bit of overlap with the books, which shows our similar tastes. But there's also just enough of a difference to make it a little interesting. I (you can follow me on goodreads) recommended, Aussie authored, Wildlife by Fiona Wood and Steal My Sunshine by Emily Gale to both Katie and Sophie. They're both planning on reading the books, and I'm looking forward to hearing their reactions to them.  

6 comments:

  1. Love seeing all your books. I've read and loved many of them too. Happy New Year and thanks for all you do to promote books and authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ladies have the best taste! :) Scarlet and Through the Ever Night are both on my list today too. I'm in the middle of This is What Happy Looks Like and think it's another winner.
    Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope you love it! It's such a great read. Thank you so much!! :)

      Delete
  3. YAY :D Scarlet and Clockwork Princess. <3 Loved both books. Thank you all for sharing your top ten books :D

    ReplyDelete

Labels