Mundie Moms

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Forget Me by K.A. Harrington, Book Review


By: K.A. Harrington
Published by: Putnam / Penguin Teen
To Be Released on: 8/7/14
Source: arc from publisher to review
Rating: 4 stars - I Enjoyed It!
Pre-Order it from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Add it to Goodreads

Two names. One face. A dangerous secret exposed.

Morgan never minded her boyfriend Flynn’s dark and private nature. She found it mysterious and alluring. But now he’s dead, and she can’t move on. She feels much like her dying town, River’s End, with its overgrown amusement park and abandoned houses: once happy . . . now fading away.

Hoping for some closure, Morgan uploads her only picture of Flynn to the social media site FriendShare along with a note to say good-bye. But she’s shocked when the facial recognition software suggests she tag him as Evan Murphy. She’s never heard of Evan. A quick search reveals that he lives in a nearby town and looksexactly like Flynn. Same eyes, nose, jawline. Only this boy is very much alive. Digging through layers of secrets, Morgan questions everything she thought she knew about her town, her boyfriend, and even her parents’ involvement in this massive web of lies.

Forget Me is a heart-pounding novel that draws you in and keeps you guessing until the very end.

A thrilling, suspenseful read, Forget Me is a twisted story packed with mystery, murder, deception, and romance. With plot twists that I didn't see coming, this was a book that kept me hooked till the last page. 

It's been awhile since I've read a good murder mystery, and Forget Me didn't disappoint. I enjoyed getting swept up into the story. I wanted to know answers just as much as Morgan did. Normally I can start to figure things out rather quickly, but Harrington does a great job at keeping her story's secrets buried, only to slowly unravel them bit by bit, keeping me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I love it when the story's mystery is one you think should be obvious, but as you keep reading, you start wondering just who's to blame, and if your suspicions were right. When the truths are finally uncovered you're shocked at just how many characters were involved, and who's to blame. 

Harrington cleverly tangled together the murder, mystery and suspense in this book. Part of me thought one thing was going on, when really it was something completely different than the shocking truths. The characters in this book are great. I liked getting to know Morgan. She's a smart girl who doesn't take no for an answer. She does do two things I rolled my eyes at, one had to do with her and Flynn and the other was something she does later on in the story with Evan, which to me crossed the line. I won't say what that is, but I will say with her dating Flynn, I was shocked that she didn't know more about him. I liked how that was addressed in the story. Flynn's character definitely adds to the mystery that surrounds Morgan's story. Even when he's not present in the book, he's still very much apart of it, and fuels Morgan's need for answers.

I really enjoyed all the character relationships. I totally loved Evan. He's such a patient guy, and I really liked how Harrington developed his character, and made him question and address some of the things I was wondering. I loved how she didn't rush Evan and Morgan's relationship. Toni and Morgan are best friends, and have a realistic relationship. They are there for each other, confide in each other, support each other, and are overly protective of each other. Which comes in handy when it comes to Reece. Aside from Evan and Morgan, I really liked Toni and Reece. They're great together and gave the story some of it's funny moments of the story. I'll be honest, I did not see that relationship coming. Which was great! I love that surprised. Their relationship is well developed, and like Evan and Morgan's not rushed at all. Reece is definitely a character who surprised me the most with this story. There's so much more to him than when he first enters the story. 

The romance in this story is great. It compliments all that's going on, and I liked that Harrington doesn't allow any of her elements to over shadow each other. Instead the romance, and the suspense and everything else that's going on, work together, and compliment each other. I hope that doesn't sound crazy, which I'm sure it does. There are times I feel some elements over shadow other crucial elements in a story, vs the author utilizing those elements to tell the story. Harrington utilizing everything to work together in her story, and it's fabulous. 

Forget Me has plenty of suspense and the right amount of sweet character chemistry that makes this a read I'd definitely recommend adding to your summer reading lists!

2 comments:

  1. I've had this on my TBR for a while. Hopefully I get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of Kim Harrington's books. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete

Labels