Mundie Moms

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Every Breath By Ellie Marney Book Review



By: Ellie Marney
Published by: Tundra Books
Released on: 2014
Series: Every Series
Rating: 5 Stars - I Loved It!
Source: own copy
Purchase from: Amazon

What if Sherlock Holmes was the boy next door?

Rachel Watts is an unwilling new arrival to Melbourne from the country. James Mycroft is her neighbour, an intriguingly troubled seventeen-year-old genius with a passion for forensics. Despite her misgivings, Rachel finds herself unable to resist when Mycroft wants her help investigating a murder.
And when Watts and Mycroft follow a trail to the cold-blooded killer, they find themselves in the lion’s den – literally. A night at the zoo will never have quite the same meaning again…
I first heard about this series via a friend who is from the same country town in Vic Australia as the author Ellie Marney. I am normally not a huge fan of mysteries. But I thought I'd give it a go being local Aussie Author.  I was not disappointed at all.  In fact I think Every Breath might have converted me to mystery novels! 
In Every Breath, Rachel is a country girl who has moved to the city with her family and she isn't happy about it.  She is going through the motions at school, and working hard to just get by and keep her family happy, and she misses her country farm life.  Mycroft lives next door to Rachel but he isn't your typical boy next door.  Then that is where the story gets interesting.  On discovering a homeless friend of Mycroft's murdered, the pair begin to look for answers. 
I loved the characters in this book.  Yes story is loosely based on Sherlock but you don't have to be a Sherlock fan to enjoy this as well.  Rachel is smart and doesn't take and crap from anyone.  Mycroft is troubled but still endearing.  Sometimes two characters just click and in Ellie's writing, Rachel and Mycroft just do.  It's not a typical love story, more friendship building, but we know this is often the basis of a good love story.  

It is also a fantastic mystery novel.  With lots of forensic and detective work to keep the mystery fans happy but not too much to overwhelm a novice like me.  Set in Melbourne with many of the landmarks familiar to me, I adored this so much.  It is a fast paced page turner right from the start, that will keep you guessing right until the end.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds awesome! Mycroft and Rachel sound so well written. I am bumping this up on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

Labels