Mundie Moms

Friday, April 17, 2015

Shadowhunter TV Series News: McG Tells EW He Vows to Honor TMI Fans


Earlier this week EW shared a great interview with The Shadowhunter Series executive producer and director, McG. According to their interview with McG, he vows to honor TMI fans with the series. 

From the interview, McG had this to say, 


“I’ll be involved in every element of every decision of every episode of everything that is the show,” McG tells EW. “I take that very seriously.” Right now, McG will direct at least the first episode of the series, and likely more if he can work out the scheduling. Below, McG talks about his involvement with Shadowhuntersand keeping fans happy with the latest iteration. 
When asked about the series from EW, McG had this to say:
EW: How did you first become involved with the Shadowhunters series?
McG: I was a fan of the books. I read the books and found them to be interesting stories. I liked Cassandra Clare’s voice, and I was engaged. I heard they were making a television show, and I’m friends with Karey Burke, who is the new head of ABC Family, and I trust her completely. She has a great aesthetic. She’s very sophisticated. And she’s doing exciting new things out there at that network along with [ABC Family President] Tom Ascheim. Those elements came together, and I thought I would take a look at the script. I read it and responded to it. And I’ve got a good idea of how I think I can honor the fans and really make an exciting show week in and week out.
Speaking of the fans, what’s it like jumping into a project that already has such a rabid fan base?
I think it’s exciting. My style is to be open and communicative and talk about what we can and can’t do with the realistic parameters of television. But I think everybody’s expectations of television is so high now with Game of Thrones, and there’s such excellence out there that we plan to recognize that and take it even higher. So I find it empowering and encouraging. I take it very seriously, and I’m doing a great deal of listening.

Will the story lines follow the books, and in what ways are you trying to separate this project from the movie, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones?
The mythology is very much in keeping with the book. I look at the television format for the fans to engage evermore deeply in the stories and the characters because you have more hours to parcel out the story itself. So I think that’s an exciting opportunity. If I’m honest, I find myself more and more excited about what’s going on in the TV space than most of what is going on in a theatrical space.

What, if any, interaction have you had with Cassandra Clare?
Just limited interaction, but I plan to go and kiss the ring and do a great deal of listening and trying to plug in to her special brand of magic. 



________________________________________

I only shared part of McG's answers. Please be sure to visit EW and read their entire interview with him HEREMcG brings an excitement to the TV series I felt was lacking with the movie. His excitement shows in his tweets, and in the interview he did with EW. I have a lot of faith in him, as do many Shadowhunter fans. Hearing he's a fan of the series, and plans on having interaction with Cassandra Clare is huge. 

As fans we know authors have little to no say when it comes to their books being made into movies or TV series, which often times ends up hurting the adaptation. Until Cassandra Clare's brief meeting with ABC a couple weeks ago, she had zero interaction with the series. I'm really hoping McG does what he says, and interacts with Cassie. I'm not saying that he won't do a brilliant job with his adaptation, but having Cassie involved will help ensure that the important details, no matter how little or big, will make it into the series. Including the humor with Jace, which greatly lacked in the movie. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting answers. Aside from a blessing from Cassie, I truly hope he plugs into the mythology. It's layered and unique. If the TV series stays true to the books, it will have a huge following.

    ReplyDelete

Labels