Mundie Moms

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

EVERY LAST BREATH by Jennifer L. Armentrout / Book Review



By: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Released on: 7.28.15
Series: The Dark Elements #3
Rating: 5 Stars - I LOVED IT
Source: Book Gifted from Publisher
Purchase from: Amazon | B&N | iBooks
Add it to Goodreads

Some loves will last 'til your dying breath

Every choice has consequences—but seventeen-year-old Layla faces tougher choices than most. Light or darkness. Wickedly sexy demon prince Roth, or Zayne, the gorgeous, protective Warden she never thought could be hers. Hardest of all, Layla has to decide which side of herself to trust.

Layla has a new problem, too. A Lilin—the deadliest of demons—has been unleashed, wreaking havoc on those around her…including her best friend. To keep Sam from a fate much, much worse than death, Layla must strike a deal with the enemy while saving her city—and her race—from destruction.

Torn between two worlds and two different boys, Layla has no certainties, least of all survival, especially when an old bargain comes back to haunt them all. But sometimes, when secrets are everywhere and the truth seems unknowable, you have to listen to your heart, pick a side—and then fight like hell…

The Short Review:


This is how you wrap up a series! With plenty of action, romance, wit, and shocking surprises. I laughed, I cried, and in the end, when I wanted to cry over the fact that this is the last book in one of my all time favorite series, I instead felt hopeful for Layla's future, and with whom she choose to be with. I admire the character Layla has become. I loved it all! Especially the characters, their relationships, the mythology/world building, and of course the romance. I couldn't have asked for more in this series's ending!

The Longer Version: 

This was the perfect ending for one of my favorite series. I loved all that Armentrout gave me in Every Last Breath. There's romance, action, suspense, humor, and those emotional moments that as a reader leave you a hot mess while reading them. I felt like I got everything that I had hoped for and more in Every Last Breath. But true to Armentrout's form, she still threw in plenty of surprises not this book.

Layla is an incredible character. Her journey has been a tough one. She has grown and changed so much since I first met in White Hot Kiss. I love and admire the character she has become. She really shines in this book as she for the first time, really takes charge of her life, and her own decisions. It's not been an easy road for her to get her. She's been betrayed, and hurt by those whom she's trusted the most. She's had to face a lot of fears, and make some incredibly hard decisions. But through it all, she has become so much stronger. For the first time, Layla not only embraces who she's become, she literally discovers what she is. 

I loved the in-depth look we get into the world building /mythology of this series, and how it ties to Layla. I loved that huge surprise. Talk about having to deal with a lot. There is so much that is going on in Layla's world. Not only does she have to break the heart of one of the guys she loves, she also has to try to save those she loves from the wraiths as well as the world, and embrace what she discovers what herself. But mixed into the craziness, and feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders, Layla also gets to spend time with the person who has had her heart, since the moment they met. Talk about some sizzling, hot scenes between those two. I loved the moments they had together.

The relationships in this book are fabulously written. Both the romantic ones, and the friendships. While I've always had a favorite, I knew going into this book that Layla had a hard choice to make. I knew that it wasn't going to be easy for her. Having to choose between two people you love, is never easy. Layla had a tough choice to make. I loved how Armentrout made it so clear that while Layla loves both Roth and Zayne, her heart has allows been for one of them. That was very evident in her decision making, why she picks that person she does. It's explained, and I think in the end both teams will be happy. 

I really respected both Roth and Zayne for allowing Layla to make her own decision, and follow her own heart. I felt like that says a lot about both of them.  What I didn't except was to feel so emotionally tied to her decision. The character emotions and their reactions to Layla's choice, and all that is going on around them, were incredibly easy to emotionally feed of off. I liked that Armentrout didn't just brush of this huge decision Layla makes. It's something that effects the characters a great deal, whether for better or worse. I know I shouldn't have been surprised at how emotionally connected I was to all that was going on. Armentrout has done an amazing job with emotionally connecting me to this series. 

Speaking of emotions, I was totally shocked at how sad I felt over the death of one of the characters. There's no shortage of surprises in the conclusion of one of my favorite paranormal series. There is plenty of action, a lot of suspense mixed in with heart break, redemption, romance, and the right amount of humor at all the right moments. I've always loved the humor and wit Jennifer Armentrout's characters have. It always comes at just the right moments in the book. And don't worry, there is plenty of the hot, swoon worthy romance, Armentrout has been known to write. 

It's never easy saying goodbye to characters you've come to love. Nor is it easy knowing that as a reader we won't get another book with these beloved characters in it. However, if a series has to end, this is the way to end it. This was the perfect wrap up for this chapter in Layla's life. While I wish I could peak in from time to time, and see how she and the love of her life are doing, I like knowing that their future together will be a good one. As for the other characters, there's hope with what's to come for their futures. That is the best way to leave their story. 

*This book does contain some well written sensual scenes.


ENTER TO WIN - I'm giving away a copy of Every Last Breath! Head over to HERE to enter to win a copy of Every Last Breath! It's open internationally!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels