Mundie Moms

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh / Book Review #ReignOfTheFallen


By: Sarah Glenn Marsh
Published by: Razorbill
To Be Released on: January 23rd, 2018
Series: Reign of the Fallen Series #1
Purchase from: PenguinAmazon | B&N
Add it to Goodreads 
Rating: 5 stars 
Source: Read a bound manuscript from the publisher for review

Odessa is one of Karthia's master necromancers, catering to the kingdom's ruling Dead. Whenever a noble dies, it's Odessa's job to raise them by retrieving their souls from a dreamy and dangerous shadow world called the Deadlands. But there is a cost to being raised--the Dead must remain shrouded, or risk transforming into zombie-like monsters known as Shades. If even a hint of flesh is exposed, the grotesque transformation will begin.

A dramatic uptick in Shade attacks raises suspicions and fears among Odessa's necromancer community. Soon a crushing loss of one of their own reveals a disturbing conspiracy: someone is intentionally creating Shades by tearing shrouds from the Dead--and training them to attack. Odessa is faced with a terrifying question: What if her necromancer's magic is the weapon that brings Karthia to its knees?
 


An unforgettable, action packed, fast paced read. This mesmerizing book has it all! Rich world building, characters I couldn't help but fall in love with, conflict, romance and a protagonist who's epic journey I was completely immersed in. 

This is one addicting read! I devoured this book in one sitting. I really enjoyed the unique premise and it's alluring story. There's something about this story, Odessa's character and her journey, along with Sarah's writing that makes it incredibly hard to put this book down. Not to mention the beautiful message found within the story. The world building is stunning. It's incredibly easy to visualize Odessa's interesting world. 

Odessa is a character I really liked. She's complex, reckless, independent, fierce, strong, and flawed. Her flaws are what make her relatable. Her strength is what is what I admired, and her independence is something I respected. She's also so much more than that. She's beauty, and she's grace. She's not afraid to stand up for herself, including what she believes in, and those she loves. 

To match Odessa's fierceness is a whole world full of incredible women. They aren't afraid to just be who they are, and they can fight too! There's something empowering when reading about female characters who are who they are, and they don't make excuses for it. I absolutely loved this aspect of the story. I'm a strong supporter of books who introduce me to strong, imperfect heroines who not only deal with love, loss, and finding themselves, they also support each other. 

Marsh has created a story that's truly fascinating. There are so many elements that are added to the story that don't overwhelm it, but instead help make this story what it is. The necromancer element of the story is great, and the diversity is awesome. I really enjoyed the surprising romance in this story. Odessa is a character who knows grief, as much as she has known love. Part of her story is realizing that it's possible for to fall in love again, though it's not quite how she excepted it, which makes it all the more exciting.

I absolutely loved this book. It's so different than anything I've read before. It does have some darker undertones, which Marsh wrote beautifully. This isn't a pretty story to match it's pretty cover. Don't be fooled by the pink on the cover or the golden, pretty skeleton. Though the skeleton alone should warn you of what's to come. Having said that, this is a story that made me proud to finally have a book full of strong, and beautiful women who stand their ground when it comes to love, friendship and fighting. 

Odessa's story is one that's stuck with me long after I've read it. I can not wait to see what direction her journey takes her in. I look forward to getting my hands on this book's sequel! There's so much more to this story I can't wait to read. 

1 comment:

  1. Eee, yay! Gorgeous review Katie :D So happy that you loved this book so much. <3 I have an ARC of it, and I'm really hoping I will end up loving it too :D You make it seem so good.

    ReplyDelete

Labels