Mundie Moms

Monday, February 8, 2010

Mundane Monday #20

Happy Mundane Monday!!!

"Desire is not always lessened by disgust. Nor can it be bestowed, like a favor, to those most deserving of it. And as my words bind my magic, so you can know the truth. If she doesn't desire his kiss, she won't be free."
............
"That's right."It was Jace. Clary saw him, at the blurred edge of her vision, as he moved toward her and put a hand on her shoulder, turning her to face him. "It's just a kiss," he said, and though his tone was harsh, his hands were inexplicably gentle. She let him turn her, looked up at him. His eyes were very dark, perhaps because it was so dim down here in the Court, perhaps because of something else. She could see her reflection in each of his dilated pupils, a tiny image of herself inside his eyes. He said, "You can close your eyes and think of England, if you like."

"I've never been to England," she said, but she shut her eyelids. She could feel the dark heaviness of her clothes, cold and itchy against her skin, and the cloying sweet air of the cave, colder yet, and the weight of Jace's hands on her shoulders, the only things that were warm. And then he kissed her.

-City of Ashes, pages 172-173 (The Seelie Court Kiss), The Seelie Court Queen, Jace and Clary

*picture taken from our post here about the MI Graphic Novel

7 comments:

  1. I am soooo excited for the graphic novel, it looks fantastic and that is one of my favorite scenes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Frankie Diane, I'm excited fot the graphic novel version of MI! Clary looks amazing! ANd I just love those lines you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI--Cassie and some members of her Mortal Instument Google Group shared the origins of Jace's line "You can close your eyes and think of England, if you like." It's pretty interesting to see where it came from. If you're a fan you should join the group. It has lots of inside info. This is what uglyduckling4eva said about the quote.
    "Back in the Victorian days when sex was supposed to have no pleasure
    at all (for women, at least) and be purely to provide children, this
    was the advice given to young wives - 'shut your eyes and think of
    England', and presumeably wait for it to be over, lmao. I did wonder,
    when I read it in CoA, how familiar American readers would be with the
    saying, tbh, but it's something we're familiar with/still joke about
    in the UK. One of my favourite Jace lines :3 "

    Trini@A Book-Lovers' Review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that post Trini! I'm sure a lot of readers wondered about the origin. I've read a lot of books that take place during that era and was familiar with the quote so I found it super funny, as well. Yes, one of my favorite Jace lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Thank you for posting that Trini! I some how missed that discussion on the google group. That makes the quote that much better knowing the origin of the saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sat that all the time!! if there's something I dont want to do, I just say "close your eyes and think of england" and this scene is one of my favourites, gives me goosebumps every time

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this part!! The Fairies may be crazy, but the Queen knows what she is doing and she knew that There was more than the Naked eye could see between Jace and Clary!!! I love how at the end of COG how The Queen always knew the truth about Clary and Jace not being brother and sister!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels