Mundie Moms

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Twitter Tuesday - Lauren Oliver

I was checking twitter throughout the day yesterday when this tweet caught my eye:

Amazon released a list of Best Books of 2011 (so far), really? Well, guess what book was no. 1? Lauren's DELIRIUM and I remembered how much I loved it all over again.

And then I hopped over to her blog and discovered a couple of exciting things. Lauren's releasing a middle grade book, Liesl and Po, on October 1, 2011. Here's the synopsis from goodreads:
We meet Liesl the night after the day her young father has died. That same day she is visited by a ghost, Po, an eight year old boy who lives on the other side, the territory between life and death that runs parallel to the living world. Po has come to tell her that her father is stuck on the other side, and that she is the only one who can help him cross over. A couple of wooden boxes. Some ashes. Some magic dust. A ghost, its pet, and a boy who forgot to wear a hat in the cold. From these seemingly odd, random characters Oliver weaves the enchanting story of how, with the aid of Liesl, these elements come together over the course of one week to restore love and luster to a world gone grey and heartless.
I am so excited that Lauren wrote a book which I can read with my soon-to-be third grader. My younger two are always curious about my favorite authors but at the ages of 6 and 8.5, they're not ready for YA stories. I'm looking forward to reading it. Now that summer's in full swing it makes me think -- which authors do you love to share with your kids?

4 comments:

  1. Laurel takes the paranormal genre to a new level, independent of graphic sex or violence. I did not see Delirium as a YA book. Enjoyable to read but with wonderfully written prose.
    Have you guessed I am a HUGE fan of Delirium? She also did great research of the location. I live whereof she wrote and she is spot on.

    Other writers have been far, far, less careful.
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    Twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Steph. I adored DELIRIUM as well and I'm really looking forward to sharing her "wonderfully written prose" (love your phrasing) with my DDs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited Lauren has a MG book and let me just say it is so worth pre-ordering now! Lauren herself is amazing and she definitely has a talent for writing. I love it when YA authors I admire branch out in to MG books. That allows me to share my love of their writing with my kids.

    ReplyDelete

Labels