Mundie Moms

Friday, September 16, 2011

Flashback Friday #1

Sophie & I have been talking a lot about doing something a little different on the blog. We like the different posts we do, but we wanted to mix it a bit, which is how Flashback Friday's was born.

This is a weekly post we'll doing that will include a review of a book that's been out for awhile or one that's been sitting on our shelves begging us to read it. It may also include a review of a book we've read before, but haven't picked up in awhile. Today's Flashback Friday is: Twilight

Published by Little Brown
Released on October 5th, 2005

Isabella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Bella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Bella, the person Edward holds most dear. The lovers find themselves balanced precariously on the point of a knife—between desire and danger. Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite.

This book is what got me into reading paranormal YA books, and I've been in love with this genre ever since. When it first came out, I was one of those who claimed I'd never read a book about a "stupid vampire love story". I totally ate my words, because this is the only book I've read more times than I care to admit on here. It's also the book that reminded me why I loved to read, and made me fall in love with YA paranormal books. Thanks to Twilight, it lead me to Twilight Moms, which lead me to Stephenie's book of the month club on TM's, which lead me to City of Bones and the rest is as they say, is history. If it hadn't been for Edward and Jacob, I may not have met Jace. lol

Stephenie's world building, in-depth characters, vividly detailed setting and well written plot fueled my obsession for more. Everything about her story felt realistic, and her writing took me to a whole new world. It had been a while since I re-read Twilight, but reading it again reminded me of why I fell in love with it in the first place. I've never felt more torn between two well written love interests, more intrigued with both the vampire and werewolf lore and I've never fallen in love with all the characters like I have with Twilight. Not to mention the fact I'd love to run through the woods with the vampires and spend the day on 1st Beach with the wolves.

Despite the fact this book has been ripped on more times than it deserves, it won't ever change my love for Stephenie's writing or what she's created. She's one of the few authors who's paranormal book gave me everything I hoped it would and so much more. Even though it's been a couple years since I first read Twilight, re-reading it again doesn't change my 5 star review for it. I loved it then, and I continue to do so now.

12 comments:

  1. ITA! I never thought reading YA would be so rewarding, even if I wasn't technically a "young adult" more like and "adult, adult" tee hee until I read Twilight. It has gotten so much hate, but it made me fall in love w/ reading again and how many other books can do that? Forever Bella & Edward. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lo- Exactly! I don't know why it's received so much hate, but this book really changed the way YA was perceived and got so many adults to start reading again. I give huge kudos to a book that does that, because not many books can claim to be as successful as Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL that's crazy. I was actually thinking about doing Twilight for mine today too. . . weird. =) Yeah, I did "Way Back Wednesday" for 2 weeks then decided to be a part of "Waiting on Wednesday" so I changed it to "Flashback Friday." fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great idea for a weekly post. I enjoyed the Twilight series, and I think I am probably the only reader on the planet who likes New Moon best ;P

    Have a great weekend!

    xoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathryn- No way! Talk about being on the same wave length. That's hilarious we both decided to start this the same week. I love it!

    Ricki- Thank you so much! I told Sophie it would be a fun way to promote books we've read before MM's started, or books that have been sitting on our shelves and we've not gotten around to reading them. Plus it allows us to change up our reviews a little bit.

    I'm right there with you, NM is my favorite as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with a lot of you, Twilight totally got me hooked on reading and if I never would have borrowed it from my 13 year old for something to read while on vacation, I never would be in to reading like I am now. :)

    ps: I've also read this series way more times than I care to admit. As well as listen to the audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and I also think it is going to be a really fun feature on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn- Thank you so much! I'm excited to start this new feature. I love knowing there's a group of fans who'll admit they've read the Twilight series more times than they care to admit. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts exactly! This book brought me back to one of my great loves: reading. It also brought me to many new loves in YA & Children's Lit! Stephanie & her work will always have a special spot in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Princess Sara- Same here! I'll always be grateful to Stephenie and her books for introducing me to Cassie's books. From there my love for YA and Children's book continued to grow.

    Thank you! I'm so glad you love new feature. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, Twilight was my "gateway" book for all things paranormal/YA. I can't seem to get enough. However, it's frustrating how Stephenie is so non-accessible to her fans, and has been for years now. Very uncool. (I couldn't find her book of the month club that you mentioned either.) But her books helped me find Cassie's, (and Maggie's and Julie's, etc) and for that I'm thrilled; I never would've glanced at the YA section if I hadn't fallen in love with her books first. I love your site, btw, and will be a regular follower. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels