Mundie Moms

Monday, October 24, 2011

Book Review: Prized (Birthmarked #2) By Caragh M. O'Brien


Published by: Roaring Book Press
To Be Released on: November 8th, 2011
Source: ARC from author/publisher to review
3.5 stars: It was a good read
Purchase from: MacMillan | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime. In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole? - quoted from Goodreads

Prized picks up right were Birthmarked ends, with Gaia and her new born baby sister alone in the wildness, on the run from the Enclave. With little supplies and not much to protect them against danger, both Gaia and her sister aren't in the best condition when they run into a stranger who helps/kidnaps them and takes them to safety. Once there, Gaia realizes she's in a whole new society and one that ties her to her Grandmother and family, but this society isn't blissful, in fact it gets Gaia in a lot of trouble, changes her, opens her eyes a bit and takes her sister away from her.

Much like Birthmarked, Caragh again creates a vivid dystopian world that was so easy to imagine as the story goes on. I liked the fresh take on a new society which allowed Caragh to tie Sylum with Gaia's family, specifically her Grandmother that was mentioned through Birthmarked. Her Grandmother is no longer here, but her ruling this society and the clues she leaves behind plays a role in what Gaia uncovers as the story goes. Unlike Enclave, this society is ruled by women, which make up a very minor percentage of the mostly male population. There's strict rules in this society, women and men are forbidden to touch unless married, and the women is the one who chooses who she marries. Women are required to have many children to help not only a declining society, but help try and boost the dwindling female population.

I liked the introduction to some new characters, despite being frustrated with how narrow minded some of them were. I liked the possibilities of new relationships for Gaia, and loved getting to know Will and Peter. I was extremely excited when Leon enters the picture and the friction and chemistry that once again develops between he and Gaia was fabulously drawn out. Unfortunately for me Gaia herself wasn't the girl I had excepted her to be, at all. I really felt like she regressed as a character for much of this story. She was this lively, stubborn, strong willed, independent girl who wouldn't bend to anyone's whim and yet in this new society she becomes opposite of all that. While I tried to understand how a new society would change her, I didn't really buy into her changing so much. I felt like I got a completely different character than Birthmarked and I missed the old Gaia. I liked that Caragh even had Leon questioning Gaia and how much she changed since being in Sylum. It isn't until close to the every end did I see a flicker of the old Gaia.

While I didn't love this book as much as I loved Birthmarked, it's still a great addition to this series. I'm very eager to find out what's in store for the third and last book in this trilogy. I'm hoping that Prized doesn't change Gaia and that with the next storyline she'll become that inspiring character she was before. I think this story line's purpose was to place Gaia in the position she ends up in at the end of the book for the sole reason of helping bring change to a society in desperate need of it. I'll definitely be picking up the final installment to this series when it's out.

Don't miss today's Prized blog stop and interview with Caragh here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels