Mundie Moms

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Infernal Devices Clockwork Prince 31 Day Celebration: Day 7, CP Playlist Post #2

It's Day 7 of our 31 Days of Clockwork Prince Celebration and today we're excited to share the second half of Cassie's Clockwork Prince playlist! You can read the 1st half of the playlist here. Like yesterday's post, Cassie has not only shared which songs she choose, but why and how they fit in with Clockwork Prince.

Each song's title and band name is linked back to itunes, making it easy for you to either listen to a sample of the song or purchase it. If you're like us, you'll be purchasing a new sound track this weekend. Enjoy the second half of the playlist!

**************

The soundtrack for Clockwork Prince was a little challenging because I found that I was listening to songs about London, or that mentioned London, over and over, so I decided to do a soundtrack of just London songs. But of course there are a lot of songs about London (“London Calling”, etc) that while fine and dandy on their own didn’t really fit the mood or the narrative. So in the end these are the thirteen that I did pick.

London Bridges, Josh Rouse

This song begins “It was a really cold day in London.” This one’s a little tough without spoilers, but I’m just going to say that for me it’s about Jessamine and how maybe sometimes you lean on people you shouldn't.

But listen honey
I am not the kid, to tell you how to love or how to live
And if you think that I am just a bridge, then I'll be leaving now
This bridge is falling down


London Skies, Jamie Cullum

Will you let me romanticize,
The beauty in our London skies,
You know the sunlight always shines,
Behind the clouds of London skies.


A song about finding beauty in unusual places. I would say this is a song for Henry and Charlotte, who don’t get nearly enough love!

London, Vanessa Carlton

This is a really beautiful song and for me, a quintessential Will song. It’s all about past mistakes, about wandering in the dark, about love and regret and missing your home. I especially like “You’ve got a knife-throwing kind of love!” I honestly don’t know if I think this song is more about him and Tessa or him and Jem, but it doesn’t really matter.

Walk London's windy streets
Go anywhere but home
'Cause I'm looking for the secrets
That only cobble stones hold
Only the cobble stones know

And I've never been so sure
That after all these years, I'll never learn
That heavenly creatures never come

You've got a knife-throwing kind of love
But your silence cuts the deepest
And I know I've made a mess of things
And I'm sorry for all that
Wish we could get the time back


London Rain (Nothing Heals Me Like You Do), Heather Nova

So keep me in your bed all day
Nothing heals me like you do

And when somebody knows you well
Well there's no comfort like that
And when somebody needs you
Well there's no drug like that

And this one is a quintessential Jem song to me. It’s about sickness and healing, about needing to be needed. Parts of it seem to me to be about him and Tessa and other parts, about the comfort of someone who knows you well, seem to be about Will. Either way its about the effect love has on sickness of the spirit.

Under the Gun, the Killers

I don’t know if this one is cheating or not. It does contain the line “Stupid on the streets of London.” Like all Killers songs, there are about fifty things it could be about. But since I choose to believe that it’s about a guy who’s in love with someone who treats him badly, I’m going to say this one is for Magnus and Camille. :D

She's got her halo and wings
Hidden under his eyes
But she's an angel for sure
She just can't stop telling lies
But it's too late for his love
Already caught in a trap
His angel's kiss was a joke
And she is not coming back
Because heaven sends and heaven takes

Werewolves of London, Warren Zevon

I think this one is kind of a gimme.

He's the hairy handed gent who ran amok in Kent,
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair.
You better stay away from him,
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim,
Huh! I'd like to meet his tailor.


I’ll say it’s about Woolsey Scott, who you’ll meet in CP and of whom I am very fond and who has an excellent tailor.

******************

This is such a fabulous playlist! I love that most every song is about London, which is extremely fitting for Clockwork Prince. Now that you've listened to the entire playlist, what do you guys think?

4 comments:

  1. Nice! Love me those playlists.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some great song choices!

    Have you heard of Ed Sheeran? It's like he's in the Will/Tessa/Jem relationship. Perfect mix of love, longing & sadness.

    Fall
    Kiss Me
    This ( Perfect for Will, especially towards the end of CP)
    Give Me Love
    Firefly

    They're all perfect, but I have a feeling will fit even better with CP2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love novels that make me feel and boy did I get exactly what I wanted! After it was all over, I couldn't stop crying! Ms. Clare gives us exactly what we all want in the novel, but just puts her classic spin on it! I am simultaneously overjoyed and aggrieved at the same time! Its a beautiful book, full of everything that encompasses wonderful in a novel. It is honestly one of the best books I have ever read!!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels