Mundie Moms

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book Review: Deadly Little Voices by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Published by: Disney-Hyperion
Release Date: December 6, 2011
Source: Purchased

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars - I liked it and will keep reading the series.


Synopsis: High school junior Camelia thought her powers of psychometry only gave her the ability to sense the future through touch. But now she’s started to hear voices. Mean voices. Berating her, telling her how ugly she is, and that she’d be better off dead. It’s a troubling development that has Camelia terrified for her mental stability, especially since her deranged aunt with a suicidal history has just moved into the family house. More torturing, ex-boyfriend Ben, who has similar psychometric abilities, has been spending more time with their classmate Alejandra.

With the line between right and wrong fraying, Camelia turns to pottery to get a grasp on her emotions. She begins sculpting a beautiful figure skater, only to receive frightening premonitions that someone’s in danger. But who is the victim? And how can Camelia help them when she is on the brink of losing her own sanity?

Camille and Ben.

Camille and Adam.

Camille and what?? Another-crazed stalker?

I have to admit that the familiar plot line is exactly what I love about the series. Without making this spoiler-ish, I will hint at the fact that this plot is very believable and yet it's about a familiar (for the series) predicament -- someone's stalking a student at Camille's high school. But this time, Camille's voices get louder and her premonitions become actual visions that rip her from reality and into a future scenario. Laurie's descriptions of these disturbing moments are so vivid that, at times, I actually shuddered a little. These parts of the plot also balance out other points where the plot becomes a little predictable.

As for Ben being in the picture, well, he is and he isn't. He has an excuse to be away for a few days just as the plot builds. No worries, however, because Adam, ever patient, is there to help. The big climactic scene is one that is filled with whoa, whoa, whoa and the plot twists just enough to make you want to keep reading. For Ben fans, like myself, there is also a sweet moment (unfortunately it's not one that Camille witnesses but it's one readers are allowed to see) and that moment is worth the read.

This series is one that I keep saying should be a TV series, and there, I've said it again. Someone please make it one, so I can tune in each week and get my fix of characters I've grown to like -- a lot.

9 comments:

  1. Great review. I loved this book. Probably my favourite in the series since the previous installment disappointed me. Used to be Team Ben but for the last two books I'm also rooting for Team Adam. Love that guy. Also I think it should be a tv series too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin W - Adam. *sigh* That boy has the patience of a saint! Yes, I agree re: the series picking back up with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first and didn't continue on... I love the covers though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the first book, and I loved it. Now you really have me wanting to read the rest of the series, which I somehow haven't gotten around to doing. I agree that this would make a really good TV show! Someone please make it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Sophie! I need to read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this series yet. It sounds intriguing. Thanks for the well-written review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Read Banned Books / Kris - I read books 2, 3 and 4 in a few days over Christmas break. Very fast reads and it's been fun to read them that way, too, all in a row.

    MMs - Thank you. I hope you enjoy it, too.

    Ricki - Fun, fast and it's the paranormal element that I find keeps me thinking, hmmm, what now??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series a lot but sadly I am slacking and have not yet read this book. As for Adam, he is cool and sweet, but I am so in love with Ben and am hoping for him and Camelia to end up together. I totally agree this should be a tv show that would be perfect I would definitely watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caitlin - There's a sweet, sweet moment for Ben fans like you and me.

    ReplyDelete

Labels