Mundie Moms

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday- Favorite Quotes About Reading


I'm a huge fan of quotes and since I slacked off on today's Thoughtful Thursday post I thought I'd share some of my favorite quotes about reading. These are listed in no order:

"We read to know we are not alone."
- C.S. Lewis

"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark."
- Victor Huge

"I can not live without books."
- Thomas Jefferson

"If one cannot enjoy a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all."
- Oscar Wilde

"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
- Walt Disney

"The more that you read, the more thing you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
- Dr Seuss

"A home without books is a body without a soul."
- Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Every man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify himself, to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his life full, significant and interesting."
- Aldous Huxley

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."
- Anna Quindlen

"Good children's literature appeals not only to the child in the adult, but to the adult in the child."
~ Anonymous ~


If you have any favorite quotes about books or reading, please feel free to share them in the comments.

*image found on google

11 comments:

  1. The worth of a book is measured by what you can take away from it.
    -James Bryce
    Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
    -Anonymous
    A good book on your shelf is a friend that turns its back on you and remains a friend.
    -Anonymous
    Found these when I needed quotes for a school project :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing them. I'm adding these to my personal list of quotes.

      Delete
  2. I will always love Dr. Seuss. Thank you for this quotes ladies. I do love quotes about books and lit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I glad you love them. I LOVE quotes as well.

      Delete
  3. These are all great! I like this one:


    She is too fond of books and it has addled her brain. --Louisa May Alcott


    ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'm adding this one to my list of quotes. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. "Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it." - Lloyd Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorites is by C.S. Lewis~

    No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally (and often far more) worth reading at the age of fifty...Those of us who are blamed when old for reading childish books were blamed when children for reading books too old for us. No reader worth his salt trots along in obedience to a timetable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this quote! It makes me want to yell exactly! after reading it.

      Delete
  6. For the longest time, the Cicero quote was the only book-related quote I knew so, naturally, it was my favorite quote in the universe. It's what inspired my blog name :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were wonderful. Thank you so much. And have to say I love love the Anna Q. quote. I do agree!

    ReplyDelete

Labels