Mundie Moms

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Take A Bow Interview with author Elizabeth Eulberg

I am so excited to have Elizabeth Eulberg on the blog today to talk about her upcoming release, Take A Bow! If you've not yet pre-ordered this book I highly recommend you do. In some areas I know you can already go pick it up at your local store...run in there and do so! 



I love that there are 4 characters we get to meet in Take A Bow. Did you find yourself relating to one character more than the others? If so, who and why?

Emme. I’ve spent a lot of time “in the background” so to speak when I was a publicist, and I struggled a bit when I had to come out and be the author. I’m not a shy person, but it was really uncomfortable for me to talk bout my books and myself at first. So I related to Emme’s struggle the most. What’s funny is that I didn’t even realize the corollary until I was almost done writing the book. But I started working on Take a Bow right after I was done promoting my first novel, The Lonely Hearts Club, so I apparently had some stuff I needed to work through!



What inspired you to write a story centered around the performing arts?

I’ve been obsessed with performing arts high schools since I was a kid, probably because of Fame. I loved playing music so much, I really wish I could’ve gone to a school where the arts were the focus, but there wasn’t one near the small town in Wisconsin that I’m from. So I was in every type of music program/band my high school had (orchestra, jazz band, pep band, marching band). I always knew that I wanted to write a book set in a performing arts high school and once I did the research and realized how competitive they can be, the story began writing itself.


Out of the four, Sophie, Emme, Carter and Ethan, who do you feel grew or changed the most from your rough draft to the published book?

Definitely Carter! When I originally came up with the idea for Take a Bow, Carter was going to be a secondary character. He was only Sophie’s boyfriend, the former child star. Then I realized he had a secret and knew that he had his own story to tell. I also think out of the four of them, he grows the most throughout the book.


How would you describe each of your characters using one word?

Emme: Sweet

Sophie: Driven (although I’m sure people have a different word they’d use to describe her!)

Carter: Conflicted

Ethan: Self-destructive 


Who would you have been friends if you had gone to school with Sophie, Emme, Carter and Ethan?

Emme - we have a lot in common (we are both a little too trusting for our own good). I also think I would get along well with Carter, but his famous past would’ve probably intimidated me. 


Is there a YA book you've read recently that you'd recommend we go pick up and read?

Yes! Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy! I LOVE this book, if books could have best friends, Being Friends with Boys would be Take a Bow’s. BFWB also features a girl who’s in a band with guys (and likes to be in the background), but it’s a completely different story than my book. I’m in awe of how well Terra writes the music scenes, you feel like you’ve been given a backstage pass into her character’s world.


Do you have one piece of writing advice you'd like to share with aspiring teen writers?

WRITE! I hear a lot from teens who get stuck on a story or aren’t sure what they should write or how to get published. The most important thing is to write. Everything else can come later. If you’re stuck on a story and it doesn’t appeal to you anymore, write something else. Just write!


*********

Thank you Elizabeth for stopping by and chatting with us today about your newest release! 

Please be sure to visit Elizabeth via her Website | Twitter | Facebook

You can read my review for Take A Bow, and meet Carter.



Published by: Scholastic
To Be Released on: April 1st, 2012
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble



From the fantastic author of The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom & Prejudice comes a story of all the drama and comedy of four friends who grow into themselves at a performing arts high school.
Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform. -quoted from Goodreads

Thank you to Elizabeth, she's offered to give away a published copy of her book, Take A Bow! 

To enter, please fill out the form below. 

- Open to residents in the US
- You must be 13 yrs & older (if under you must have a parent/guardian's permission to enter)
- 1 entry per person
- This giveaway will end on April 14th, 2012

4 comments:

  1. Great interview! I love discovering how authors stories came to be. This book sounds really good, and the characters all sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The characters are really fun to get to know.

      Delete
  2. Great interview! I've heard great things about this book and I also want to read Being Friends with Boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I too, am adding Being Friends with Boys on my TBR list!! :)

      Delete

Labels