Mundie Moms

Friday, May 18, 2012

Book Review: Last Rite by Lisa Desrochers


Written by: Lisa Desrochers
Published by: Tor Teen
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Source: Author Provided
Rating: 5 stars -- I loved it!
Series: Personal Demons, book #3

Synopsis: In this final installment of the thrilling, edgy Personal Demons series, the battle between Heaven and Hell has become critical, and Frannie Cavanaugh is right at the center of it.
With the help of the powerful angel Gabe and demon-turned-mortal Luc, Frannie has been able to stay one step ahead of the forces of Hell. But when the demons killed Frannie's best friend and destroyed her brother, they raised the stakes. If Frannie wants to keep her family and friends safe, she knows she has no choice but to go on the run.

Their best defense is the power Frannie has been struggling to master, but her attempts to hone her skill go horribly awry. If Frannie doesn't learn fast, the consequences could be devastating—even apocalyptic.

Dear Frannie,

When I read Personal Demons, I had to write a letter to Luc because, well a) I’m a Mundie Mom and b) Demon Boys usually spell trouble. But, Luc was lovely and conflicted and oh, Frannie, I know you know exactly what I’m talking about. And yes, he still spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e.

Katie wrote a letter to your author, Lisa Desrochers, after she finished Original Sin, because let’s face it, Katie was in still in shock at the ending.

I decided to write this letter to you because you are no longer the naïve, young girl we met in Personal Demons. Oh no, Frannie, you are mature and apprehensive and fiercely protective of the ones you love. And Mundie Moms have to love that.

When all Hell, literally breaks loose, you hold your own. Okay quick aside, kiddo. Gabe? Gabe? Gabe! I didn’t expect he’d cause me to tear up. I know why you love him – his protection and safety (okay, and hotness) made me understand the sacrifice he made to stay with you. He spells trouble in an entirely different way.

I don’t want to give anything away, but there’s a Really Bad Guy in the story and the way Lisa presented him quickly made him one of my very favorite antagonists. I have a long list, trust me on this, and he remains near the top. He was untrustworthy and seductive and OMHeavens funny. Yes, in the middle of a holy-heck-what-is-going-to-happen-here scene, I found myself giggling out loud. Be sure to tell Lisa that part because her comic timing was pitch-perfect.

Frannie, may I mention your family? You know how much I love them (and particularly, Grandpa) and there’s a lovely back-story that made everything make so much sense. Again, I have to thank Lisa because she revealed pieces of a puzzle in the midst of an action sequence that didn’t let up, and I got to have that amazing feeling of “OOOOOOH, I get it.”

I need to end this before I give up spoilers (I’ve already edited out a few). I only have one question left – who was the better kisser, Luc or Gabe? Oh, never mind, I think a little demon may have whispered the answer in my ear.

(Aside to MMs: If you love angel-demon mythology (and I know you do), go pick up the Personal Demons series. You guys need to meet Luc, Gabe and Frannie. This summer, turn up the air conditioning and enjoy one hell of a ride.) 

7 comments:

  1. Great review Sophie! I couldn't help with snicker at some of these comments. Lisa Dez does an awesome job at wrapping her series up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Lisa does a fantastic job with her climactic action scenes and handling the multi-POVs.

      Delete
  2. Dear Mundie Moms,
    Thanks for the note. I'm glad you don't think me and my family are just a bunch of freaks. (Even though Grace really IS sort of freakish.) You know how I feel about my grandpa and I'm glad you love him too. The Really Bad Guy you mentioned sorta freaked me out a little, but the Really Good Guy freaked me out more. And, to answer your question, both Luc's and Gabe's kisses do stuff to me. It's just that the stuff is totally different.

    Love,

    Frannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Frannie, how fantastic that you read my little letter. Every family is sort of freak-ish. Trust me on this, but yours knows what's really important and I love that.

      The Really Bad Guy? A delight to read, but probably would cause my hair to turn grayer if I had to confront him. The Really Good Guy was brilliant and I'm sorry I didn't mention that moment because I LOVED it. Props to Lisa fir making him unique.

      As for the, er , kissy question...I had to ask. Please forgive. I'm a mom but sometimes curiousity gets the best of me...and, umm, yeah. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love this review/letter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you, Ashelynn. It's sometimes fun to do a little something different with reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Labels