Mundie Moms

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Book Review (Adult Book): Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost


Yes, you read that right, this is a review for an adult book. NO, I'm not going to be reviewing adult books on a regular bases, but every now and then (once in a blue moon), you may find a review for an adult book on here. 

Published by: Avon (Harper Collins)
Released on: June 26th, 2012
Source: purchased
4 stars: I Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | BooksAMillion | Powells | IndieBound | iTunes

She's a mortal with dark powers...


After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames -quoted from Goodreads

I've read part of Jeaniene's Night Huntress series, and being that Vlad is a character from that series I was intrigued with wanting to read more about him. And, well that's face it that synopsis alone sold me on picking up this book. Talk about an electrifying romance! Vlad is definitely one of those characters that one, you don't cross and two, who could make you cower in the corner. There's something about him that also draws you to him like a moth to a flame. He's a character who has this commanding presence both in the vampire world and through out history. I loved that it took a fire cracker like Leila to get under his skin, in a good way. The fact that there was not an insta-love between these two made me enjoy the book that much more exciting, and addicting. There's a big difference between chemistry and attraction vs an insta-love and this book definitely has a lot of that first element. It was well written and executed, but once these two got together, holy crap the fire works ignited. 

Being that this is an adult book you can definitely expect to find a few sex scenes and some minor language in this book. I know that seems silly to mention, because that's expected, but I don't want someone reading this thinking that it's the kind that you'd find in a YA book, because this is truly an adult/romance book. Aside from the hot romance, there's also a great paranormal story with an alluring historical twist on Vlad, and a breathtaking setting. I'm a huge suckers for romance, and paranormal elements and Jeaniene delivered both of these to me on a silver platter. I don't know which I enjoyed more, the romance/character chemistry or the history, and paranormal elements to this story. 

The characters themselves were well written, especially Vlad. Leila for me was a little bit harder to really like. I mean, I liked her, I just didn't like being in her head for the entire story. I wanted a bit more from Vlad, but I won't complain too much, because I did get a few glimpses into his past via one of Leila's unique abilities. I also loved Bones and Cat's cameo in the story! I loved these two from the Night Huntress series, and it was great to see them appear in this book. 

This is one action packed, sizzling summer read that Frost fans will devour. There's plenty of danger, romance and that little bit of humor I've come to except and enjoy in Jeaniene's books. Once Burned has all the makings for a series fans won't get enough of. There's something about Vlad that will leave you wanting more. This book's ending will definitely leave fans wishing that Vlad's sequel was already out, instead of having to wait another year. *Being that this is an adult book I'd definitely recommend it to mature, older readers. There's a few sex scenes, and a few uses of the f word and mentions of sex in this book. 


* Side NoteMundie Moms is strictly a YA book review site, but every now and then I do branch out and read adult books, though I don't post my reviews on here, just like I don't post my reviews for other books I read outside the YA scene on here. When I say every now and then, that really translates into rarely, but again, I do get into those moods where I want to sit down with an adult book.

12 comments:

  1. Love this review! Makes me "almost" want to step outside my comfort zone & pick up a steamy book. But that's an almost! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! LOL this book was definitely out of my comfort zone, but I will say the steamy scenes weren't really graphic or that bad. There was only a couple of them. I liked that there was much more to this book than those two scenes. YA and MG are definitely my comfort zone.

      Delete
  2. I love anything written by Jeaniene Frost and I'm now just waiting for my copy of this book to come in the mail which I'm really, REALLY excited for. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin! I enjoyed part of her Night Huntress Series that I read last year. When I found out about this one I had to go pick it up. It's definitely one I'd recommend to Jeaniene Frost fans. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I have not read any of her books, but most of my friends (who are readers) are obsessed with Bones!!! They say he is their favorite of all vampires. My favorite one is Matthew Clairmont from A Discovery of Witches. So did you like Vlad or Bones better? Should I read Bones and Cat's book???

    Thanks for a great review!

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't finished the series Bones in it, but it's a tough call between the two. Bones and Vlad are very different and likable in their own ways. I'm starting a Discovery of Witches this weekend! I can't wait to read it. I'd recommend picking up both this book and the other series.

      Delete
    2. I loved it (A Discovery of Witches). I was fortunate enough to read an ARC of Shadow of Night, and I liked it even better than A Discovery of Witches!!! :D I know you will enjoy the series. Thanks for co-hosting the Freedom to Read Giveaway Hop. :D I got my post up last night, and I cannot wait to see all the fun prizes.

      Delete
    3. I am so glad you mentioned the giveaway, because I didn't realize my post wasn't up.

      I've got a copy of Shadow of Night sitting here waiting to be read. I can't wait to dive into it.

      Delete
  4. My Aunt and I swap a lot of books. I'd give her some YA, she'd try to give me some adult being that I'm about to turn 18, nothing bugs me. She's been trying to get me into Jeanine Frost for forever and a day, always talking about how Bones cracks her up. However, I'm really interested in checking this book out. Seems like it can stand alone from the series that Vlad previously appeared in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can definitely stand a lone. Bones is hilarious!!

      Delete
  5. I get into moods where I want to read adult books every now and then too.

    Also? Once Burned sounds really good. I never know what to read for adult paranormal romance, so this seems like a good lead.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm so picking with the adult books I read too. I want something that has some great sexy times, but also a solid plot line, and Jeaniene Frost's series have that. I'd recommend her Night Huntress too.

      Delete

Labels