Mundie Moms

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Book Reviews: Reads Outside My Normal Realm of Reading; Ask The Passengers / The Perks of Being a Wall Flower

Every now and then I like to jump outside my normal realm of reading, and read something that takes me out of my comfort zone, and/or makes me think outside the box a little bit. I feel having the opportunity to review books often times provides me the opportunity to read a book I might not have other wise other pick up. 



By: A.S. King
Published by: Little Brown
Released on: October 23rd, 2012
Source: arc from publisher to review
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble


Astrid Jones desperately wants to confide in someone, but her mother's pushiness and her father's lack of interest tell her they're the last people she can trust. Instead, Astrid spends hours lying on the backyard picnic table watching airplanes fly overhead. She doesn't know the passengers inside, but they're the only people who won't judge her when she asks them her most personal questions . . . like what it means that she's falling in love with a girl.

As her secret relationship becomes more intense and her friends demand answers, Astrid has nowhere left to turn. She can't share the truth with anyone except the people at thirty thousand feet, and they don't even know she's there. But little does Astrid know just how much even the tiniest connection will affect these strangers' lives--and her own--for the better.

In this truly original portrayal of a girl struggling to break free of society's definitions, Printz Honor author A.S. King asks readers to question everything--and offers hope to those who will never stop seeking real love. -quoted from Goodreads


Though I read this book is one sitting, it's one I'm also a little torn on. There are certain aspects of this book I liked, and other parts of the book that left me feeling a little unsatisfied with how things were wrapped up, and how things were developed. The story's main character Astrid is a girl who's dealing with her dislike of living in small town America, has an extremely dysfunctional family, and is trying to come to figure out if she's gay or not, as well as trying to become comfort in her new skin. What I liked about Astrid is my getting to understand her dilemma with trying to figure out what she's really feeling, and trying to feel at peace with those feelings. On top of all the other high school related drama she deals with, Astrid is a girl who's trying to understood who she is, and though I didn't personally grow up dealing with the same dilemma she does, I did understand the struggle with trying to figure out who you are. For Astrid it isn't until she finally admits to herself whether or not she's gay, is she able to really come into her own, and feel comfortable with herself.

What didn't work was the lack of dimension I got from Astrid's family. Since her totally messed up family plays a huge part in this book,  I felt the story didn't provide me with enough details about what's really going with them. I need a whole lot more from them to feel like I could understand not only them, but everything that was going on. Astrid's dad is always smoking pot, her mom for the most part ignores her, and her sister rarely talks to her, and goes along with whatever their mom does. Not only that, I didn't like the approach her mom took with confronting Astrid on whether or not she was gay and the way her sister treated her, but I'm pretty sure there are kids who will read this and relate to Astrid on their mistreatments as well, which really breaks my heart. I felt that if I had a better understanding with her family and was given a little bit more of background of why things were the way they were with her family, I would have liked the book a bit more. 

What I did like was getting a small glimpse into the lives of the passengers in the planes that fly over head that Astrid randomly talks to and sends her love to. I liked that she had something to at least confide in, which for her was the airplanes flying over head. Though this book wasn't my normal cup of tea, I liked that it took me out of my normal comfort style of reading, and introduced me to a character I think other readers will enjoy meeting. There is drug use, under age drinking, a lot of sexual content, and some language in this book. 


By: Stephen Chbosky
Published by: MTV Books
Released on: August 14th, 2012
Source: book from publisher 
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a story about what it’s like to travel that strange course through the uncharted territory of high school. the world of first dates, family dramas, and new friends. of sex, drugs, and the rocky horror picture show. of those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up - quoted from Goodreads

This is one of the book I received from my recent visit to the lovely office of Simon & Schuster, Canada. Though I read it not too long after I received, it's taking me a while to digest my thoughts on this book. Prior to reading it I heard nothing but great things about from a few of my friends, which is what really curious about reading it. Let me just say this is not at all what I was excepting, and it's a read that stuck with me a few days after I read it. Not only that, this is not my normal cup of tea book, so to say.

The thing that struck about this was not just the fact it takes place during the same time I was in high year (okay, I'm not that old, but yeah I'm old enough), but the character's voice is one unlike any I've read in awhile, and the writing style was a little unique. I liked that the story was directed to me as the reader, but really told through Charlie's journal entries. It made for a completely raw, truthful, and honest read, while at the same time adding touches of innocences to the story. I laughed, I got teary eyed, and no matter how hard I might have tried to stop reading the book I couldn't. I got to a point where I needed to know how all the characters in this book were going to turn out.

Though the book is  a quick read, it tackles so many issues with it's short length. From finding yourself, sexuality, drug use, family dynamics, mental heath, etc, etc. It's one of those coming of age stories that doesn't hold back. Now I can see why they made it into a movie. I will say this is a book that has a little bit of everything in it, and one I'd recommend to mature readers. In the end it's still not quite my cup of tea, though I can see why so many enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really excited to read Ask the Passengers, so it makes me happy to read your review! It definitely sounds like one of those books where, even if readers can't relate to the protagonist's specific situation, that theme of identity is truly universal. I'm kind of torn on whether or not I want to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower because friends I've spoken with have either loved or hated it. Although I wasn't aware that it was written through journal entries, so I might have to pick it up and find out for myself! I love stories told through letters/journals and other unique formats. :) Great reviews, Katie!

    ReplyDelete

Labels