Mundie Moms

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Mortal Instruments Movie Monday #3: The Casting of Clary




Welcome to this week's edition of The Mortal Instruments Movie Monday. Last week I talked about why I felt Jamie was the perfect casting choice for Jace, and today I wanted to talk a little bit about the casting of Clary. 

I don't know about you guys, but when I read a book I rarely picture the character based on someone I know or have seen via TV, movie etc. In the numerous times I've read the TMI series I never once pictured a certain person in my head as Clary. So when Clary's casting was announced I was thrilled that we had a Clary. I'll admit, I've not actually seen any of Lily's movie, but like with Jamie's announcement, if Cassie says she's the perfect choice for this role, than I believe her. I didn't have a hard time with accepting her in this role, as I did with Jace's (though I'm now totally over having my doubts). Really, it's Cassie's world that's being brought to life, so if she's thrilled by it, than I am too. 

Here's my thoughts on Lily playing Clary. Based on the little bits I've seen, on hearing about her passion in playing this role, and from what I heard her say on set, I KNOW she is the perfect Clary! She looks like Clary to me, she has the passion and the drive to deliver the Clary we've all fallen in love with, and she has this spark about her that I don't know, just makes you love her.  I feel like that in away is something that Clary has. There's something that Clary and Lily both have that makes you like them, without even knowing them. Does that even make sense? I can't even describe what I'm trying to say. So for the sake of sounding stupid just pretend you get what I'm saying. 

Now, I want to mention the bits of hate I've heard/read about based on Lily's casting as Clary. As always I will never understand someone's belittlement towards another person. So I don't understand why based on the way Clary is described in the books, and the way Lily looks above (which is from this video she made for us here on Mundie Moms) can someone say she doesn't look the part of Clary? Not only does she have some of similar features I would imagine Clary having, but there is this little called movie magic.... which I'll refer to as make up. Hence her hair dye and movie make up. You can't judge an actor's looks and performance on a movie we've not seen yet, and based on the way she looks above I'd say she looks pretty much like a life like Clary to me. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but in some of my re-reads after Lily was announced to play Clary I can totally see why she was chosen for this role. 

This TMI movie cast as a lot of pressure of them to get this right for fans, and from what I've experienced and have seen I can tell you they will. I really hope that as we get closer to the movie release, and as us fan-sites who have had the opportunity to be on set receive the go ahead to talk openly about our set experience, that we'll allow fans to see that those involved with this movie know what they're doing! They hear what fans have said, they've read the books, they talk with Cassie, and they share the same love for this book that we do. If they didn't it wouldn't be made into a movie. I am 100% convinced that they, meaning the cast, crew and everyone affiliated with this movie, will deliver what TMI fans are excepting them to deliver and then some! 

I'd love to hear what you casting thoughts on Clary are. Are you are excited as I am to see Lily bring Clary to life on the bring screen? Please remember any hateful comments will be deleted.

5 comments:

  1. I think Lily is going to be an adorably fierce Clary....just like in the books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily is going to be a perfect Clary! After seeing her in past roles, I know she'll bring that depth to Clary that we see in the books. She's one of my favorite characters who discovers a hidden world and within it her own special power. I can hardly wait to see Lily act that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While watching Mirror Mirror I could so see her as Clary. Even when watching the blind side again I can def see Clary moments/looks in the small role she plays. Been happy with her right from the start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, but I couldn't careless who they cast as Clary. As long as they got the actor for Jace right, that's all I cared about. I'm still sitting on the fence about Jamie, but Lily has my vote for Clary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also thrilled about Clary! And everyone keeps saying how great Jamie is for Jace, so I am starting to come around. I agree with you on this: If Cassandra Clare thinks the casting is perfect, who are any of us to argue? I can't wait for this movie to come out :-)

    ReplyDelete

Labels