Mundie Moms

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Book Review: Glass Heart (Cold Kiss #2) by Amy Garvey



Published by: Harper Teen
Released on: September 18th, 2012
Source: ARC from publisher to review
Series: Cold Kiss #2
4 stars: I Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound

Wren can do things that other people can only dream of. Make it snow on a clear, crisp day. Fly through an abandoned tunnel. Bring a paper bird to life.

Wren knows her abilities are tinged with danger--knows how easy it is to lose control--but she can't resist the intoxicating rush. And now that she has Gabriel by her side, someone who knows what she can do--what she "has" done--she finally feels free to be herself.

But as Wren explores the possibilities of her simmering powers, Gabriel starts pushing her away. Telling her to be careful. Telling her to "stop." The more he cautions her, the more determined Wren becomes to prove that she can handle things on her own. And by the time she realizes that Gabriel may be right, it could be too late to bring him back to her side -quoted from Goodreads


A great sequel to Cold Kiss, Amy Garvey does a fabulous job at dropping readers right back into the heart of Wren's story. I love it when sequels pick up right where the first books left off, and Glass Heart does just that. It took me a few pages to remember everything that had taken place in Cold Kiss, and as soon as I did I had no problems settling down with this book. The stakes are higher in this book. There's more danger, twists, and a bit of a darker plot line, which made the storyline a bit more exciting. Don't worry, there's plenty of romance in this book as well. I adore Gabriel, but more on him in a few. 

Wren grows up more in this book. She's someone I felt grew in away that was fitting for her story. She makes mistakes, and she's learning how to use her powers. She's also desperate to open up more to Gabriel, and she wants nothing more than for him to really love her for who she is, her power and all. It's during this time I felt like she became a little too consumed with the desire to want that, that she misses what's really happening around. I got that she had a lot to deal with, and need to come to terms about seeing her father again, but I did get frustrated with her when she would jump the gun and get made at Gabriel vs really listening to what he was telling her. 

In the process of seeking acceptance of her ability from Gabriel, Wren ends up drawing closer to the wrong crowd vs gravitating more towards those who do accept her, and care for her. I found myself getting irritated at her for some of the decisions she makes, but at the same time I felt her decision process was spot on with being a teenager and needing to learn to figure things out on her own. I also got where Gabriel was coming from too. His love and worry for her was definitely understandable. The thing about Gabriel and Wren is they're both stubborn in similar ways and didn't take the time to really listen to each other. Okay, more so with Wren, then with Gabriel. I felt like a lot of the drama that happened was because she didn't take the time to listen and was so concerned with herself and her power that she puts herself and those around in far more danger than she cares to admit. 

Speaking of danger, Amy Garvey throws in some awesome twists in this sequel! New character introductions and a shocking discovery heat things up quite a bit in this book, and I loved it! These elements provided the story's edgier, more darker undertones that fit in perfectly with this series's paranormal elements. If you enjoyed Cold Kiss I'd definitely recommend picking Glass Heart up! It's one exciting read. There are a few mentions of the f word in this book.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed Glass Heart! I loved Cold Kiss and have been looking forward to reading the sequel. I was a bit worried it wouldn't live up to the first book, but it sounds like it's a great installment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DJ! I hope you enjoy it. Cold Kiss was a good read, and I think this is a great sequel for it. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading my copy of Glass Heart, although sometimes it irritates me when I read books and the teenagers make stupid teenage decisions. I know, I know, that's dumb because I made stupid teenage decisions back in the day too, but still hahaha it's my old lady syndrome acting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL we're totally not old. ;) I definitely get what you're saying, because I get the same way. I know it sounds silly since I made some dumb decisions when I was teen too, but for some reason I can't stand reading about it. I think it's because the right choice is always so obvious and I get frustrated when I know the character can see that too, and they still make the bad choice. I'm sure my parents thought the same thing over some of the choices I made too.

      Delete

Labels